MacBook Pro replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yellowplum, Aug 2, 2013.

1. yellowplum macrumors newbie

This afternoon I just received a call to tell me that I am getting a replacement MBP for the one that went in for repair (10th time).

Anyway, the question I have for you all as a general opinion is what to replace it with (haven't negotiated the finite details yet).

I had a MBP Late 2011 model with 8GB Ram (I think that was the only upgrade on it).

Do I just replace it with the MBP later edition? or upgrade to retina? or what?

Not sure...retina looks appealing, but the HD is small, RAM is fixed (also read battery can't be replaced).

Don't know...someone make a suggestion...

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

They will probably replace it with what is the most comparable laptop available. If it is a cMBP, then you will probably get a refurbished one or a new one with the same specs as what you originally had. However, you never know what they have in inventory for replacements for people who have older products still under warranty.

3. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

They would order a new replacement from the online store with equivalent or greater specs since yours is a custom config. You can choose to do any upgrades and they would just charge you the difference from the replacement they would have given you.

In my case, after 3 repairs on my 2012 15" rMBP with 2.6/16/256 they were going to give me a 2013 15" rMBP with 2.7/16/256. I opted for the 2.7/16/512 config and paid the $300 difference.

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

I had a late 2011 13" cMbp had a few repairs on it and two logic boards go out one after the other so they gave me a replacement. They order it from the online store. My old one was the top model, the replacement one is a top model of the mid 2012 refresh. You could try talking to the person who said they would be giving you a replacement if you upgrade it.

5. yellowplum thread starter macrumors newbie

Well she said I can change it if I wanted to contribute but they also owe me some compo. Since the retina is only £143 more was going to try and get that one, just wasn't sure if its worth sticking with the normal instead if the retina.

6. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I think that it's worth asking whomever you are working with at Apple to tell you if your replacement machine is going to be new or refurbished. And if that depends on what you want, or are allowed to have. It might make a difference in your thinking.

7. yellowplum thread starter macrumors newbie

It's new, i've already been told that, hence my remark of being able to upgrade if I want to and pay a contribution to any upgrade.

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

they provide new mostly, unfortunately i could not upgrade since we do not have apple stores in India. My replacement had to come from singapore to the Apple India.
    Anyways the choice between retina and cMbp depends on what your usage will be like. Lots of graphics video editing/photo editing then the retina would be good. It weighs lesser then the cMbp and is pretty sleek.
    But if you the guy who loves to upgrade your components like ram hdd for higher capacities then cMbp it is.
    Both are good laptops and I have found my liking for the retina display, plus its incredibly light the 15inch for some reason feels a tad lighter then my 13" cMbp though the differences is hardly a few grams less for the retina.

9. yellowplum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I noticed the the main difference other than the screen is that the MBP is upgradable and has the 500GB HD but the rMBP doesn't.

I am trying to think if I would ever need more than 8GB or a larger hard drive.

10. yellowplum thread starter macrumors newbie

Went in to a store today to see and compare. I am still unsure what to get, I think I have ruled out getting the MBP and narrowed my choice to either the MBA 13 or the MBPr 13.

Knowing that a refresh is coming up soon on the retina is putting me off, but I am still not sure on the Air.

11. yellowplum thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a MacBook Air 13, i7, 8GB and 512GB flash storage - pleased (just have to put up with the wifi problem)