Macbook Pro Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccashman92, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I am getting my Macbook Pro replaced by Apple since I have a "lemon". I was wondering if it would be smart to sell it for what I bought it for and buy it again so that I restart my warranty? Has anyone done this before?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Warranty is tied to serial number, so your plan won't work anyway. Nice try though.

However, if it's a new machine you can get a new warranty on it. I seem to remember stories on the forums about people getting their Applecare transferred or getting a new warranty for a reduced price or for free. Give customer service a call and ask what the exact story is.

3. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think you understand... I am going to sell this replacement for 2.5k which is what I bought it for. Then I'm gonna use that money to buy another. That way I get a new warranty. Does that make more sense? Is it a good idea?

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Im in the same boat. The warranty starts new as long as you dont transfer applecare to it. Just by applecare again and you will have 3 years. then you can call and get a prorated refund for the applecare on the old one.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ah, ok. If you can manage to sell a used MBP for the same price as a new one, why not? I don't think it's worth the time and trouble, but YMMV.

6. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I would be selling the replacement. Are the replacements brand new or refurbished?

7. kalex macrumors 65816

Depends what Apple sends you. It can be brand new or refurb. But as a general rule nobody is going to pay you same amount of money as it would cost to get a new one from apple store. What's the point of buying it from you and pay retail?

8. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

It has my music library on it, Tune-Up, iWork, and CleanMyMac. My friend wants it.