Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tidon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Hello , been reading this forums long time ago but this id my first post

I have macbook pro 15" core2duo model A1226 and i'm getting s little crazy so i'm looking for some help

Actually my laptop display is black and seems not working lbut laptop its working fine on a external display
Apple shop said that logic board was damaged so i'm trying with another board wich is from same model A1226 but diffeferent processor and grapic card
Original was 2,4ghz core2duo and nvidia 8600m 256mb
The new board is 2,2ghz and nvidia 8600m 128mb

My question is, should this new board work without no problems? or need to be a board with exact processor and graphic card...?
Cause i'm getting no image on laptop and external display but system seems working fine and i can hear volume sounds.

I'm really annoyed cause i dont know whats the problem after all

(i also replaced inverted driver led and cable and display cable before removing the board)
Btw isight is not working also if that helps...

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Tidon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Did you try to take it to an apple store? I think they will fix it for free as it seems to be a problem related to that specific model, i saw something, just let me find it for you...

Yes, they said me that was board problem but it not was the nvidia chipset one, i think you talking abou that?

Tidon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Sorry :eek: I thought it was the problem :(
Thanks
anyways can someone reply this question?

My question is, should this new board work without no problems? or need to be a board with exact processor and graphic card...?

I want to know if this new board is also damaged or its incompatible

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
the new board should work if you swap it.

There probably is no other way of testing the mobo than by hooking it up and checking that everything starts up normally.

Tidon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
the new board should work if you swap it.

There probably is no other way of testing the mobo than by hooking it up and checking that everything starts up normally.

The new board is working fine, system get on and can hear all sounds but no image
I noticed i can see the image on the display if i look at it very near With a lantern
However no image from it on external display

Any tips?

iamBATMAN

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
New York
If you can see a faint image being displayed on the LCD when you shine a light on it then you have no backlight. For this you would need to replace the inverter board & cable. This is not an easy repair for two reasons; the two parts are going to be very hard to obtain outside of Apple, and they're located under the clutch cover of the display. If you bring the Macbook Pro to Apple and they confirm the unit has no backlight it's a fairly cheap repair. We're talking 50-70$.

Tidon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
If you can see a faint image being displayed on the LCD when you shine a light on it then you have no backlight. For this you would need to replace the inverter board & cable. This is not an easy repair for two reasons; the two parts are going to be very hard to obtain outside of Apple, and they're located under the clutch cover of the display. If you bring the Macbook Pro to Apple and they confirm the unit has no backlight it's a fairly cheap repair. We're talking 50-70$.

I already changed inverter led driver and cable
Whats the board?

apeden

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Just take it to the apple store. They will fix it for you, and most likly it will be free. Well in my case it was ;) My mother board went bad about a year ago, and it was going to cost me about $1500 but they did it for me for free. You just have to be nice, fixing your laptop is not that expensive for them to do. They want to make you happy so you come back again and again and by the newest and greatest stuff :p

Tidon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Just take it to the apple store. They will fix it for you, and most likly it will be free. Well in my case it was ;) My mother board went bad about a year ago, and it was going to cost me about $1500 but they did it for me for free. You just have to be nice, fixing your laptop is not that expensive for them to do. They want to make you happy so you come back again and again and by the newest and greatest stuff :p

There is no official apple store here, only a partner store where you can repair your mac
They told me board was damaged and wanted to charge me 500+ , of course my applecare is ended
i didnt trust them so i bought another board my own to test
And here we are :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.