Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Hi Folks - having a problem getting Windows 7 working properly. Actually, it works just fine so long as I am happy using a standard VGA adpater.

For some reason, my MBP reports only a "Standard VGA Adapter" when trying to configure graphics, rather than the Radeon card that is in here. It's a late model Unibody with the 1Gig Radeon card.

What I've tried so far:
Scanning for new hardware in device manager
Downloading the latest radeon drivers and installing them (reports they cannot be installed because I do not have a compatable adapter)
Removing the standard VGA adapter, rebooting, and then trying to force a hardware scan (still no luck, reports only Standard VGA adapter)

In OSX, the card is recognized under the device manager; it appears to work as expected.

Thoughts / help? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: One more thing, this is of course when dual booting. I do also run Fusion and will run this as a VM from time to time, but that's notthe environment under which I have been troubleshooting. Could VMWare have somehow disabled the card?

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Hi Folks - having a problem getting Windows 7 working properly. Actually, it works just fine so long as I am happy using a standard VGA adpater.

For some reason, my MBP reports only a "Standard VGA Adapter" when trying to configure graphics, rather than the Radeon card that is in here. It's a late model Unibody with the 1Gig Radeon card.

What I've tried so far:
Scanning for new hardware in device manager
Downloading the latest radeon drivers and installing them (reports they cannot be installed because I do not have a compatable adapter)
Removing the standard VGA adapter, rebooting, and then trying to force a hardware scan (still no luck, reports only Standard VGA adapter)

In OSX, the card is recognized under the device manager; it appears to work as expected.

Thoughts / help? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: One more thing, this is of course when dual booting. I do also run Fusion and will run this as a VM from time to time, but that's notthe environment under which I have been troubleshooting. Could VMWare have somehow disabled the card?

no. get the bootcamp drivers from the apple website and install the one for graphics cards.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
no. get the bootcamp drivers from the apple website and install the one for graphics cards.

Any hint (or better yet, link?) on where to find the drivers? I just did a search on apple.com and reinstalled the latest boot camp software, but don't see any drivers - or are they included in the package somewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.