Price Advice Macbook Pro Resale Value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PorscheDude, Nov 5, 2011.

1. PorscheDude macrumors newbie

PorscheDude

I was wondering how much this computer would be worth and what resale value is like for apple laptops.

I have had my wonderful 15 inch Macbook Pro for ~3 years. The specs are 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of ram, OWC 40GB SSD, and optibay w/ 500gb 7200RPM drive. I also have the external DVD drive in a macbook air like-enclosure. The computer honestly runs faster then my friend's new 13 inch Macbook Pro. Battery life is ~3 hours if you are just using the SSD. Using both hard drives gets around 2.5 hours, which is impressive for a 3 year old laptop. It has Lion, new iLife and iWork. The reason I would be interested in getting rid of it would be due to the fact that I am majoring in Computer Engineering at URI and I have to take some programming courses as well as other PC oriented courses. I also work in IT in the summer and RDC works better with PC as well as active directory and shares, etc. I would probably replace it with a Sony Z series laptop.

The computer has one defect... It was in my bag and someone managed to kick it while it was on the ground. Thus it has a small dent in the lower left hand corner and the bottom cover doesn't completely close. I have seem lower MBP bodies go on eBay for $50 and that would honestly fix it.

I remember selling my G4 Mini for ~$575 when I bought it as demo for $550 after a few years of heavy use. Thus I know the resale value is decent. I am just wondering how much it would fetch in current condition and if it is worth it to put the stock parts back and sell the other stuff as separate. Also, would it be better to replace the chassis with an ebay purchased one?

Computer would include VGA and DVI adapter as well as everything else it came with new. I am not trying to sell this here as I know that you have to have a certain amount of posts to list it.

How much could this computer go for?

Thanks,

Justin

Edit: Thanks for the move.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

3. PorscheDude thread starter macrumors newbie

PorscheDude

Nvidia GeForce 9400M 256MB.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

OK, so it's the original unibody? If so, it'll have a 9600m GT graphics card also with 256 MB of VRAM.

If that's correct, I'd say around $700-$750 or so. And you might be better off putting the optical drive back in and selling it as stock - I'm not sure a 40 GB SSD is going to add much value for most people.

5. rex450se macrumors regular

6. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

$750-$850. $650 for a relatively loaded 15" is pretty low. I would start at $850 and go down slowly.