MacBook Pro resale value

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmac007, Sep 7, 2016.

1. kmac007 macrumors regular

I'm currently in a dilemma because I want to get a new laptop but keep waiting for the new ones to come out.

Our retailer here currently has the MacBook Pro 8gb ram 128gb sss for $200 off.

However I don't think that's enough space because I do photography as a hobby.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to purchase the 128 GB version for 200 off. Then sell it once the new ones come out.

However I'm wondering how much of my money could I realistically recoup?Lets say the MacBook Pro costs 1500.

How much of that could I get back once the new ones are out?

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

If they change they substantial changes so it is obvious that the 2015 model is the "old" one expect to take a hit. Comparing used prices between MBP and rMBPs a year apart you see a 25-20% or so difference.

3. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

You said you want a new laptop you don't need. I would just wait, I'm betting they will be announced next month.

It's up to you to determine if it's worth the cost and time to buying/selling. For me I don't think it's worth it. You could lose up to $500 to basically rent a laptop for two months or less.

I have an Macbook Air that I have Lightroom on but I only edit my photos on that go if I have to. It only has 4gb RAM and 128gb so in a pinch it's fine but it lags when I edit really large RAW (36MP) files. I have a 2013 iMac with 24gb RAM that I primarily edit on. Been waiting to upgrade to a newer rMBP forever. Storage is not that important to me but memory is, can't wait to get at least 16gb, hopefully the rMBP offers 32gb.

4. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Never buy anything with the intention of selling it soon. The big value drop occurs the minute you've bought it.

5. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. 9Only reason I would consider it because I need a new laptop badly and I heard Apple products hold their value well.

6. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

I have had good experiences with selling my MacBook pros in the past when I wanted to upgrade or needed the funds for my music productions etc. I keep my gear in immaculate condition not because I'm OCD, I'm just a tiny bit, but it serves a good purpose. Apple gear holds it's value, because they are beautiful objects and if kept in pristine condition and its in "as new full functioning order" then it's a matter of who is "willing" to pay for it.

I've kept all the box and stuff in the box pristine, the box even has a value, there are people out there who would actually buy Apple product boxes!

A direct experience I had was I purchased a top of the line 17" MacBook Pro from Bestbuy online, it arrived but it's the French keyboard, oops. I still managed for a year of gentle use, I produced a lot of work in that time, but it started to bug me, I wanted glossy screen it was the Matte screen. Anyways I put it on the market for 2100 bux, we negotiated and it sold for 1900. I paid 2799 not including tax + APPLE CARE included. Sold in a matter of days from when I posted online and in the local papers.

With that money I put towards the top of the line 15" late 2015.

There is always someone out there willing to pay for your pristine, gently used, fully functional as new Apple gear.

7. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your detailed response. Very reassuring to know.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It's pointless wait for the latest MacBook Pro because it'll be outdated on release anyway.

To give you an idea, Intel used a Dell XPS 15 to demo Kaby Lake last month.

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Of course they did. MBP might not see Kaby Lake for another couple years