Macbook Pro Restarted Because of a problem????? Help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snarestud940, Dec 30, 2015.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone,

My new Macbook Pro 15inch Retina is about almost a month old, and the past two or three days, it has happened three times where the computer shuts down, and says that the computer was restarted because of a problem, and click any key to enter.

I did some research and it said its a kernel thing...I have no idea what that means. Is this a problem? My macbook is brand new and I love it, but don't know what is happening. Is this is ok, and just something that normally happens?

Very nervous! Thanks for the responses in advance!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

What are you doing with the computer when it happens? If it's repeatable, that makes it easier to diagnose and fix.

I'd take it in to Apple if you can. You shouldn't be getting regular kernel panics.

3. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

the last time it happened i was looking at best buy.com, and then went over to youtube, typed in a word into the search field, and it happened.

4. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

On Unix-like systems this is known as a "Kernel Panic", the equivalent to a "Blue Screen of Death" on Windows.
    It usually happens when the system cannot recover from a fault or error in the memory/driver issues.

On older releases of OS X, the system would hang and a wall of text would appear displaying the faulty process(es), known as a "Stack Trace", and would ask you to reboot.
    Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic#Mac_OS_X

Starting in 10.8, the system would annoyingly just reboot and say "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Blah blah blah etc." and not tell you why it crashed in the first place.

There is a way to see what may have happened though. Using Console (in the Utilities Folder), you can search for "panic" in the filter box without quotes. Try to find the best possible date/time match for when the system rebooted/crashed. You can then drag the text out and it will create a text clipping you can then upload here or just copy/paste the text into a BB Code bracket.

Let me know if you need any more help.

5. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

12/30/15 11:49:26.943 PM SubmitDiagInfo[344]: Failed to submit problem report file:///Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Kernel_2015-12-30-231338_Alan-Amendolas-MacBook-Pro.panic

is this right?