MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) startup problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n-evo, Jun 3, 2015.

1. n-evo, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Hi,

I just got a new MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) on which I preformed a clean installation of OS X Yosemite v10.10.3. At startup it's exhibiting some odd behavior about 50% of the time. So what happens is as follows:
    • Turning on the MacBook Pro by pressing the power button on the build-in keyboard
    • After a second or so the login screen appears with my own custom set desktop picture visible
    • Logging in by entering my password, password is accepted and the actual startup indicator appears
    • When the progress bar is about half through the screen goes black
    • MacBook Pro restarts, startup sound can be heard
    • Login screen appears once again, but this time around with the default OS X Yosemite desktop picture
    • Startup indicator goes all the way through and my desktop with custom set desktop picture appears
    • MacBook Pro functions as normal
    This cycle happens after a shutdown as well as after a restart (ending up restarting twice due to this problem).

Do any of you have a clue as to why this is happening? I only owned Mac desktops before, so I don't have much experience with their notebooks.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Why did you perform a clean install of OS X when there really wasn't a need to? Mac's don't come loaded with crapware like that interior OS does.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Sounds like a glitch in your install of OSX reinstall it. As bending Pixels says your clean install was unessecary in the first place as you just reinstalled what was already there. Just do a reinstall from the cloud on start up and see how that works.

4. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

I have the same issue in my 2014 13" rMBP that I just bought a few weeks ago.
    I didn't do a clean install, just updated to 10.10.3 and I'm seeing this behavior about 50% of the time as well.
    Another thing I noticed is when I shut the system down, sometimes instead of the black screen and spinning wheel, I get a black screen and my courser is still visible. Then after a while it finally shuts down.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep that is a common complaint that seems to be often fixed by an OSX reinstall, but not always.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I think my laptop has done this once, but it may have been related to an OSX update. Typically, I don't show my rMBP down, so it simply wakes up from sleep and I log in.

7. n-evo, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

n-evo thread starter macrumors 65816

n-evo

The installation of a system update went wrong an hour after unpacking the MacBook Pro, resulting in a corrupt OS. So yeah, it was in fact necessary to reinstall OS X as it stayed stuck in a boot loop. That said my reasons are kinda irrelevant, as a clean installation of OS X shouldn't end up in bizarre startup behavior to begin with. The two of you make it sound like installing an OS is a bad thing to do on a notebook and startup issues are to be expected afterwards.

Apparently at least one person here who stayed with the original factory installation is experiencing the same issue, making what I did even more irrelevant.

8. n-evo thread starter macrumors 65816

n-evo

Thanks for the info. I'll give reinstalling another shot.

9. n-evo thread starter macrumors 65816

n-evo

Just for future reference: reinstalling OS X Yosemite v10.10.3 fixed the issue for me. Haven't had an unexpected restart at login since.