MacBook Pro Retina 13" - Internet Connection Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hwuong, Nov 22, 2014.

1. hwuong macrumors newbie

Starting yesterday, for some reason my brother and I's internet connection cut off. He has a MacBook Pro as well but it's a 15" one. This has happened once before but it connected a few hours later so I decided to just nap for a bit and woke up three hours later only to see that the internet wasn't working still. My brother had just gotten back from the movies and he restarted the router and everything was fine for him but mine still won't work.

Every time I attempted to reconnect, it would say that it's connected but then a little message that says "No Internet Connection" would show up on the WiFi status scroll down bar. None of my web browsers work, Skype won't work, and Steam isn't working as well.

I've tried the whole diagnostics thing and that didn't help either, it just said bad LAN or something like that - I have little to no knowledge of terms like "DHCP" or "DNS," etc etc. It just told me to restart my router and at this point I've restarted my router and laptop far too many times to want to do it again.

The router is in my parents room and that's on the other side of the house so my brother bought this wireless thing a while ago that allows for the WiFi to carry further throughout the house to reach our rooms, at times I can connect to the 5G version of my WiFi but once I step into my room it just disappears.

If someone could help me with this, that'd be great!

Attached Files:

2. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

there are questions that need to be answered:

1. based on your screenshot are you sure you are connected to YOUR own wi-fi? I see three networks with BH* SSID name.
    2. Have you tried connecting to your network using ethernet? If so, did you configure your wi-fi router/wi-fi extender properly? In wi-fi routers, you may set it up only to allow certain computers to access your wi-fi (through mac address), you may deny internet access at certain times of the day etc.

From what you are saying, it is most likely a misconfigured wifi router/extender (assuming you are connected to YOUR own router) that is causing your issue as both your brother's and yours cannot connect to the internet.