MacBook Pro Retina 13" late 2013 First Impression

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Baylor2014, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Baylor2014 macrumors newbie

After months of saving, I have finally got my macbook pro retina display today!

My exact specs: 2.4ghz (TurboBoost up to 2.9ghz) i5 Haswell Processor; Intel Iris GPU; 8 gb RAM and 256 SSD

Today I purchased my rMBP 13" mid level edition from Best Buy for $1,329 (got an education discount). Right off the bat on the first start up it took less than 10 seconds to load into the intro, very impressive! After the setup you get taken to your desktop where the beauty of the retina display is revealed.. And my God it is the most gorgeous display! After setting up my preferences, I downloaded Steam and a couple games. I played Team Fortress 2 for 10 minutes (had to leave home for awhile) and the game ran flawlessly, needless to say it's a very easy game to run anyway. The web browsing is blazing fast and as well as opening and downloading apps from the App Store or Safari. The PCIe Flash is just blisteringly fast! I imported a couple photos from my iPhone and it worked very well with no hiccups or stutters. Also, this machine is just a beautiful work of art. The thinness and weight is just incredible and looking at the keyboard when it's backlit in the dark is simply beautiful to say the least! I charged the computer to full battery at 12 PM and used it off charger all day (even while I write this) and I am at a whooping 40% still! From 12 PM to 8 PM with consistent use on 75% brightness is nothing short of awesome!

To sum it up here are the best things I have found: Battery life, Blazing fast browsing speed, PCIe Flash storage is super fast and provides an incredible boot up time, backlit keyboard is awesome, build quality

Things I do not like: chassis kind of bothers wrists when typing, only two USB 3.0 ports

If you guys want me to report back in a few days with an update then I most certainly can!

2. caonimadebi macrumors regular

Congrats on the new rMBP and great review!

Do you mind sharing how you were able to get it for $1329 since Apple's education stores lists it at $1399? Did best buy have a promotion?

thanks!

3. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

if you google best buy mac discount they have a web page where you enter your email and they send a coupon. I just bought new mbp and saw it after, so I took my recite in with the coupon on my phone and they let me return it, then re-purchase it using the $100 off coupon.

4. Baylor2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

The price was marked down to $1,479.99 and take off $150 with my education discount and it was $1,329.99.

5. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Good to hear you're happy with your purchase; too often it seems only the complainers take to the 'keyboard'. To all those vowing to never pay "that much" for a laptop: You usually get what you pay for. Apple products cost more, we all know that, after all you're paying for meticulous engineering, but the seductively beautiful end result is a well designed, well thought-out and nicely integrated device that's more than the sum of it's parts.

And the excellent warranty that comes with the products is the icing on the cake!

6. Izaiah macrumors regular

Izaiah

Good to hear. It really is nice to enjoy something you've been "patiently" waiting for lol.

I used my BB coupon to buy a base model 13" on Friday and I'm happy with mine too.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like it's working well for you.

FYI, you should keep the wrists off the table / any computer to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.