Macbook pro retina 13" now or later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amj23, Apr 14, 2013.

1. amj23 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm into gaming lightly (espeicially Minecraft) and I love when gameplay is smooth (at least 30fps) my computer is really outdatted and Minecraft is now unplayable (10 fps at max if you see what I mean). I'm planning to get into astrophotography, so that means a bit of photoediting (w/ lightroom). I'm also planning to use it for the rest of my studdies, so it's gotta last me a while.

I'm wishing to buy a macbook pro w/ retina display 13" (quite powerful and rediculous display!).I prefer It's form factor over the 15" one. However I'd like to know if I should wait or not for the upcomming Haswell chips that are announced for this summer. I'd also want to know if anybody knows if Apple's gonna put dedicated graphics in their machine (this would be more interesting).I'm not in an urge, I have all my time. This is gonna be my first mac and I'm realy looking forward to it.

All answers are greatly apreciated, and thanks in advance ;-)

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I dont think they will put a dGPU in the 13" next year. I still think you should wait, though. Haswell should bring a significantly better iGPU, which will help you with your gameplay. Minecraft is not so demanding so you will get great FPS already, but with the Haswell chips you will get better performance with your photo editing. You say you are in no rush so why not wait? I am expecting the new computers from late July to early September.

3. amj23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the extremly quick response. I do think I'm gonna wait as you suggested. I think it's a shame though if they don't put dGUP.

I'll look at futur feedback to see what other people think.

thanks again ;-)

4. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I don't understand all this should I topics... a computer substantially is a working machine or something you use for your needs. If you think that you need a new one, buy it now! Otherwise if you start looking at possible upgrades you will not buy anything because every time there will be the next big thing coming!
    rMBP have been recently updated, so if not now....when?
    dGPU will never come to the 13 IMHO...

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Recently was two months and one day ago. And I don't think that even counts as an upgrade: just a little spec bump and more RAM on one model.

6. macalec macrumors 6502

I would simply buy it now. It has only been approx. 3 months since they last updated. If you buy applecare, you will be very well protected. The current system will certainly support Minecraft. I would tell you, however to purchase now because you might me waiting long for the update.

7. Tony0693 macrumors newbie

While the processing power will be slightly better, Haswells key feature is in fact to boost the integrated graphic capabilities while reducing the power consumption. A dedicated GPU in the 13 rmbp would be amazing but we have to assume it won't happen.

I'm just not sure the retina 13 is the best fit for someone who wants to game.

As alway : If you don't need it right away, wait it out. If you need it right now, buy it. Sell it and upgrade when the refresh rolls out.