Macbook Pro Retina 13 or 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macstuff11, Jul 25, 2015.

1. macstuff11 macrumors newbie

Looking to do some 1080p video editing/Photoshopping while I travel for next 11months. Would prefer 13inch for portability but also realise that my travels will end and don't want to limit myself for the future. How much extra GPU power do you get with the 15 rMBP with R9 M370X over the 13 rMBP with Iris 6100? Other than the editing, won't be doing much CPU intensive, browsing and Word docs.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I can't say on the power side how much of a difference you will see, but if you will be traveling for 11 months, the 15 is going to be a bit of a burden. The 13 is much, much easier to fit in a typical backpack or carry-on bag.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I think the 15" model is better suited for PS (and video editing), the larger screen allows PS to really spread its wings. I felt constrained by the 13" MBP with photoshop. As for the GPU I think that dGPU is going to be nice upgrade especially since adobe products take advantage of the GPU at this point

4. nStyle macrumors 65816

I own and prefer the 13", but would recommend the 15" for your needs. The extra weight and size will be well warranted for the extra screen space.

5. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

I'm going to go with the last two recommendations, sure 13" is more portable but for image and video work a 15" display makes a big difference...Plus the additional option of having a dedicated GPU, for me thats a must. I've had both 15" and 13" MacBooks and I can say with confidence that I can't see myself ever using a 13" again, display is too small and integrated graphics, while they are substantially better now, still have nothing on a dedicated GPU in terms of performance

6. jf1450 macrumors regular

Just remember, "back in the day" a portable computer was the size of a suitcase and weighed 35 pounds. :D

I think you'll be glad you got a 15".

-jeff

7. macstuff11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. I think you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Might be a little heavier but probably worth it in the end. Don't think the 1TB upgrade is necessary for me, is the processor bump needed? I'm guessing not.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Storage is nice if you can get it, but I'm not sure its worth the cost increase. The processor bump is not needed, I really don't think you'll notice it that much.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I totally disagree with the others, you can edit 1080p video on a phone just fine these days, no need for a quad core or dedicated graphics.

As some one who has travelled round the world for a year I would keep it as light as possible and go for the rMB (the new macbook) it'll cover all your travelling needs and is incredibly small, slim and light. It is also much easier to hide and disguise and is therefore much less likely to make you a target for theft or mugging.

Reccomending the 15 inch was incredibly bad advice for this use case, I get the feeling these people have never travelled anywhere without their own transport and all mod cons...

As for afterwards sell it and buy something else, but definitely buying now with only with travelling in mind is the way to go.

10. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Great point about theft. Remember, pickpockets and thieves look for tourists. I don't believe either of those computers come with a Kingston slot either.

Another good point about computation power. Most devices can handle any ordinary editing nowadays so the extra power in the 15 is for luxury and convenience of a smooth experience.

I think the new MacBook would be most ideal.

If you've never travelled: pack what you think you need then remove at least half

11. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Honestly? You should decide purely based on screen size and carrying weight.

If you were getting paid based on how quickly you can render videos then sure, processing power would matter, but since it doesn’t sound like that’s the case, size and weight are your top concerns.

As long as you stay away from the grossly underpowered MB line and get yourself a MBP, you’ll be fine.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, the cost of MBPS are so high that the OP should ensure that he gets the biggest bang for his buck. I think extra horsepower, i.e., quad cores, fastr GPU make the 15" a better use of money - at least that's my opinion

13. ssn637 macrumors 6502

I have both models and by far prefer the 15" when at home due its generous display. But I bring the 13" to work, since I've found that when traveling by train (which is how I commute) that the 15" is a tad big. Same goes for opening up the 15" at meetings, where it takes up more desk space. I think a 14" model would be ideal and hope to see one this fall.

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The 15" requires much, much more space in a bag, and basically will not fit on most train or plane tray tables. If you're working in one place, or only occasionally mobile, sure, go big. But when you will be traveling for 11 months? Get something that will fit that need best, and do something different in the future if your needs change.

15. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I thought of the same issue myself. The 15" will be twice as fast, due to having two more CPU cores, but the 13" is a lot more portable.

I went with portability. I also would recommend at least getting the 16 GB RAM, and if you can afford it, the 1TB SSD. Even 512 GB seems a bit scrawny when you are doing virtualization work. The i7 versus the i5 is debatable.

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Although twice as fast isn't really accurate for the vast majority of uses. First, most use isn't constrained by the CPU in any form, so the two won't feel any different, second, much use that is constrained by CPU use often doesn't benefit from parallel computation, so it is still constrained by the burst speed of a single thread of the CPU. Only very specific workflows can take full advantage of multiple cores/multiple threads.

17. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I have been traveling for over 3 months overseas and I bought the 13". Having had both the 13" and 15" - I'm much, much happier with the 13"

If I wasn't a "power" user I would go buy the new Macbook - that's how nice it is having a light and thin laptop.

It's not only the extra size, but its the extra weight.

If you're wondering I have the 512GB SSD and 8 GB of Ram. This thing flies.

18. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Just an FYI the difference in weight is only around 16oz's or 46 grams. The thickness is exactly the same and the footprint only differs by 1.5 inches x less than an inch

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

That will make a massive difference while travelling for 11 months...

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not really its not like the weight is cumulative over the course of time. It will be the same weight on month 1 as it is on 6th month. I've commuted with far heavier laptops and all in all you get used to the weight after a few hours.

1 pound really does not equate into a massive difference in my book and the advantages of the 15" MBP far exceed the 16 ounce increase.

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I disagree. Weight absolutely seems to add up over time. What might be ok to carry across the airport for a quick trip can begin to turn into a drag after a day or two of travel, after you are running from one end of the airport to the other for the 3rd time that day, or carrying all your luggage from the train station several blocks across town to find your hotel. I travel 100+ days a year, have for 12 years now, and I used to carry everything with me until I realized how much all that stuff was weighing me down, limiting my options, and reducing my flexibility. Now I'm an obsessively light packer, and losing a pound, or better yet two or more (I would be taking an Air or rMB on an 11 month trip) makes an enormous difference in how a bag feels to carry around for hours.

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

This is not about commuting this is about travelling with something for extended periods.

While the OP hasn't described what sort of travel they are doing and this is an issue with advice, I am going on what I consider travelling, ie being bundled into the back of a rickety old bus for 48 hours across northern thailand, maybe being driven on long tail boats from island to island in south east asia, Running for a bus or train through the crowded streets of Tokyo with all your gear, trying to use the computer on the back of a truck while on dirt roads in subsaharan africa,
    inter-railing accross europe, walking inca trails in the andes. All the while having to lug around from transport to transport everything you need for the whole trip. I have done all these things and take it from me that big heavy laptop will be fedexed home within the week.

Every ounce counts at this point, especially if you need to have clothes and shoes for different terrain and weather with you. This is what I understand by the term travelling (as opposed to going on holiday or being abroad for work) and the thinnest lightest laptop you can get away with is the answer, for me the 13 inch rMBp should be the biggest and heaviest anyone is reccomending, and if they can get away with an ipad air all the better.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The concept is the same, traveling on a train, plane or other vehicle, you carry the computer in a bag for extended periods of time. It suddenly does not feel heavier over time as you mentioned in your post. I've traveled and commuted for years with heavy dell and HP computers. You get used to the weight very quickly.

24. Samuelsan2001, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Have to agree to disagree.
    I couldn't disagree with you more I'm afraid and the endless people I met travelling around the world agree with me, the lighter you can travel the better.

Still only the OP can make that choice we can just give them our experiences and let him decide from there.

25. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't even see how you can argue this. You can probably carry a 50lb bag of rice fairly easily for 50 yards, without it even feeling all that heavy. If you suddenly had to carry it for a 10 minute walk, it would absolutely begin to feel heavier. Weight absolutely drags on you over time.