Macbook Pro Retina 13" or Regular Macbook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adiallo98, Sep 22, 2013.

1. adiallo98 macrumors newbie

Hello I'm a student and want to know which macbook pro to get, I will be doing editing and computer programming. The regular 13" would allow me to run 2 SSD and upgrade ram but the retina gives me more real estate. Or should I just get a 15" retina or non retina?

2. v654321 macrumors member

Wait for the Haswell refresh that is around the corner. Or take a retina.

3. Mac.User macrumors 6502

That doesn't help his question. Wait for a better CPU or get a Retina? Even the next Retina will get the better CPU, and that doesn't address his storage/RAM needs.

4. adiallo98 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll need a minimum of 8gb of ram so I'm unsure although the air looks probable I don't like its small resolution

5. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

The resolution on the Air is great (13"). i have owned a 15" rmbp and a 13" rmbp. Trust me. Save yourself some money and gain tons of battery life and portability.

Between the regular version and the rmbp 13"? Grab the rmbp. The buyer's guide on macrumors says "don't buy" right now though. New updates pretty soon.

6. adiallo98 thread starter macrumors newbie

How long do you think before a refresh? And are you recommending the air or pro?

7. Rhythmic- macrumors member

Do you feel like you really need to run 2 SSDs, whether it's right now or in the foreseeable future? If you do, then go and get the current cMBP. I recently just got mine and upgraded it to 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. I don't regret waiting for the 2013 MBPs one bit. Besides, there's a rumor that the cMBP might not get a refresh and that we're only gonna be seeing rMBPs from here on out. With the cMBP, you're free to upgrade it to your liking. Though if you don't mind not being able to, then I suggest you just wait for the refresh rMBP. Should be coming out next month.

8. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

It could be any day now really. The new processors are already rolled out, and they are in the MBAs. If the Air is a consideration for you, I always recommend it because it will more than likely satisfy your needs.

The resolution on the Air is actually the equivalent of the 15" MBP (non-retina). The Air has always been the top of the line when it came to screen and resolution. It is only topped by the rmbps.

The new Airs can play most games at decent resolution, and it runs apps like Lightroom and Aperture like a charm. Plus the battery life is ridiculous. Being mobile without worrying about a charge is great. They are also cheaper than the rmbps.

I got a 13" rmbp, but the graphics card is underpowered for that screen, and it was expensive for what I got. I kept it for almost a month but gave up and just got what I thought I really wanted, which was a 15" rmbp. I kept that for about 7-8 months and it was the best laptop I have ever owned. It was expensive, and overkill for what I needed. I sold it and grabbed an Air. It does the tasks like photo editing in Lightroom that I was doing on the rmbp. This laptop is perfect.

9. adiallo98 thread starter macrumors newbie

The air actually doesn't sound bad with your points. I'll be using it mostly when in school and when i'm home i'd likely plug it into my thunderbolt display. If that's the case would the retina be worth it at all but i do like pixels lol