Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeppo2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Is there a downside to using SwitchResX to enable a rMBP 13" to run a 4k monitor like the Dell P2415Q or P2715Q, other than it running at 50Hz instead of 60Hz? Something I might be missing here? Disclosure if you hadn't guessed: I am a novice at specs and such.

I want the larger screen for use with writing code.

I really like the idea of paying twice the amount of money to get a MBP 15" if this works well. I figure with the money I save buying the low end rMBP 13" now, I could wait a year and buy another low end rMBP 13" that runs 4k as well or better than todays 15". So it seems like quite a waste to buy the 15" right now if SwitchResX works, and I do need to buy the laptop now. I can't really wait.

If it works I would buy low end rMBP 13" with 8GB memory and pair it with either of these 4k Dells.

I could possible still go with the Dell U2415H that ra004e likes by comparison to the P2414Q, but I may go to 27".

Last edited:

stempsons

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2014
Is there a downside to using SwitchResX to enable a rMBP 13" to run a 4k monitor like the Dell P2415Q or P2715Q, other than it running at 50Hz instead of 60Hz? Something I might be missing here? Disclosure if you hadn't guessed: I am a novice at specs and such.

I want the larger screen for use with writing code.

I really like the idea of paying twice the amount of money to get a MBP 15" if this works well. I figure with the money I save buying the low end rMBP 13" now, I could wait a year and buy another low end rMBP 13" that runs 4k as well or better than todays 15". So it seems like quite a waste to buy the 15" right now if SwitchResX works, and I do need to buy the laptop now. I can't really wait.

If it works I would buy low end rMBP 13" with 8GB memory and pair it with either of these 4k Dells.

I could possible still go with the Dell U2415H that ra004e likes by comparison to the P2414Q, but I may go to 27".

the only downside i've seen is slightly higher operating temps (about 10*C higher) compared to no external display.

zeppo2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks, Stempsons.

I'll probably grab the 13" this week then. I was hoping Best Buy would rotate the sale items this week and put the low end on sale, but no change.

zeppo2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
I ordered the low end standard specs 13" rMBP. Hopefully this does the trick with SwitchResX if I need it.

Will the 8GB RAM be okay with the extra monitor and windows 8.1 or 7.0 in bootcamp?

I still have my iMac that I can use to run OS X simultaneously if necessary, so I shouldn't need parallels

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.