MacBook Pro Retina 13" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PeterJP, Jun 14, 2012.

1. PeterJP macrumors regular

Hi,

AppleInsider says there is indirect evidence for a MacBook Pro 13" with a Retina display. Rumours before WWDC also claimed this notebook would be announced. Let's speculate on what it would look like. The article claims the battery is about the same capacity of the 15" regular MBP, which would be correct as the 15" MBPR has about the same capacity as that of the old MBP 17".

If I compare the 15" MBPR-MBP and then extrapolate from the 13" MBP, I would get this:

dimensions: about 320x225x18mm
    weight: 1625gr
    pricing for an 8GB/256GB setup: €1750.
    processor: I'd expect them to go for the same dual core as the MBP13" (2.5GHz)
    graphics: most likely Intel 4000. I think this chipset can handle the high resolution for standard desktop applications as it supports even higher resolutions. Obviously, 3D would be tough. Maybe an upgrade to discrete graphics, which would decrease battery life and increase price.

This is marginally smaller than the existing 13" MBP/MBA, so it could be they leave it at 325x227. The weight is right between the MBP and MBA. While I have no intentions of getting a laptop-style notebook (I'm holding out for an 11"), the 13" MBPR could make me change my mind. Particularly for photo processing, more resolution is more resolution.

What do you think ?

Peter.

2. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I think it looks about right. I made a thread about this here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386082

I don't think the 13" would get a DGPU, and I wouldn't be surprised if it started at 128GB, which would not be good if they made you by the high end model to get more space.