MacBook Pro Retina 15 (Early 2013) Dock Folder (List View) scroll lag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesuisdanny, Jan 9, 2014.

1. jesuisdanny macrumors newbie

Hello!

I was wondering if anybody else encountered similar issues with scroll lag when clicking on a folder in List View in the dock? I don't seem to be exhibiting any of the other described symptoms with browser and Finder scroll lag, only seems to be the List View in the dock.

Does anybody have any good solutions? Haven't been able to find many others with this particular issue.

Here is a YouTube video of the scroll lag: http://youtu.be/F03PiYAh_Mw

Note: In the video, I am continually scrolling up and down with a few swipes, it is fairly consistent.

Specs:

Samsung display
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    OS X 10.9.1

2. Makwak macrumors member

Just out of interest do you experience similar issues anywhere else. I am thinking of getting early 2013 model like yours and heard about "issues" but never actually seen what they are.

Is it in your opinion very annoying thing?

3. commac macrumors regular

Your example seems particularly bad but ive seen this on every rmbp ive gotten my hands on. I believe it to be caused by the algorithm apple uses for the retina effect. If you drop out of hi dpi mode it should go away but you will lose the retina sharpness. A free app like quickres or displaymenu will let you test what i mean.

The "lag" you have heard about is more of a UI jitter which is caused by the same retina rescaling. Out of hidpi mode the computer is much more responsive but doesnt look as pretty closeup. The 15" shows less of this jitter than the 13" but it still shows.

4. jesuisdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi commac,

Actually just installed Display Menu for other reasons a while back but never tried List View for folders in the dock till your suggestion -- you are right, it works super smooth when out of HiDPI mode.

Bummer! :(

----------

Hi Makwak,

Considering the laptop costs over $2,000, it is disappointing, but not a huge annoyance. I use Alfred to launch my applications anyway and seldom access folders from my dock. Haven't experienced any of the other issues reported by others so far.

5. jesuisdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to bring up an old thread, but this issue still persists.. Hopefully they fix this in Yosemite. It's getting unbearable, may just end up selling this and take a huge loss. Having owned a 2011 17" MacBook Pro that never had this issue, it is frustrating.

6. leman macrumors 604

I know that this is an old post, but the thread was just 'revived' and I happened to see it. Actually, it has nothing to do with retina rescaling — I mean, the grid view looks just fine, although it also needs to do the rescaling. It just seems that the list view is badly coded: the icons don't seem to be cached and are reloaded every time the user performs a scroll. Look at the Activity Monitor while scrolling - not only its CPU utilisation jumps to almost 100%, but the disc access also skyrockets. Nothing like that happens in the grid mode. Its a bug in Dock, nothing more, nothing less.

----------

A 'solution' so far would be to use a grid or a fan. I know this is annoying, but is that particular functionality really that important to you? There are much better and faster ways of launching applications/finding files from a big folder.

7. commac macrumors regular

For the record.... this problem is retina specific. The same computer/OS plugged into a non retina external monitor does not have any of these problems.

8. Cardsnk macrumors regular

The problem is there since retina macbook pro came out.
    mountain lion, mavericks and yosemite.

9. kittencounter macrumors member

It's annoying for many ppl. Yes, the problem is retina specific and I always suspect that their scaling software causes all this lags. The same problems popping up with the iPhone 6+. People keep blaming their "weak hardwares" where I think they shouldn't. Buying newer hardware won't solve this.

10. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

Perhaps it's Apples way of getting people to use launchpad.