MacBook Pro retina 15" - late 2013 - heating problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcawinkels, Jul 5, 2015.

1. mcawinkels macrumors newbie

mcawinkels

Hello everyone,

My MacBook Pro Retina 15" - late 2013, seems to have a problem with heating/cooling. Quite regularly, the macbook is making a noise as I am used to with older windows laptops, which was one of the reasons for turning to mac. However, I have the strong feeling that there is something wrong.

I know there's nothing wrong with the fan being on and that the laptop being a little bit hot is not damaging any of the hardware, however, I think that the way my macbook is making sound is a little bit too much, especially considering what I do with it. When I used Adobe software like Photoshop or Illustrator there seems to be nothing wrong, however, when I use Google Chrome, it goes crazy on me. I almost literally have to turn up the sound volume if I'm watching a video on YouTube because otherwise the fan noise is louder than the video sound.

I have read that Chrome is not the most energy efficient browser and that it uses a lot of RAM memory, however I don't think that what is happening with my laptop (which costed me around € 2000,-) is acceptable.

My questions to you are: Do you guys have similar experiences or is it just me? Also, I would like to check if there is something wrong with the hardware. Is there any way I can do that myself, or is my only option to go to the store where I bought it and have it 'repaired'. (Note: I am afraid that they will just send it back to me without repairing because everything basically works, it's just the fan that goes crazy).

Looking forward to hearing from you. If you need any more information about the hardware or software, please let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Here is some more information about my system:

Macbook Pro Retina 15" - Late 2013
    2 GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    Running Yosemite 10.10.4

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michel

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's not just you, Chrome does the same thing to every one of my rMBPs - both 13" and 15" models. Chrome is really a massive resource hog, because it's so inefficient. In fact, it should be made a sticky in this forum that Chrome should never be used on OS X to avoid heat and power drain issues.

3. mcawinkels thread starter macrumors newbie

mcawinkels

Dear 'yjchua95',

Thank you for your very quick response.

So basically there is nothing I can do except for waiting for Chrome to become more energy efficient and less of a resource 'stealer'? Do you know if there is any diagnostics program with which I can check if my macbook is still working like it should? Or shouldn't I be nervous about this fan noise?

Thanks!

4. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

Can you not use Safari instead of Chrome? Google are now actively trying to improve Chrome on Mac but Safari runs much better on a Mac so I use Chrome on Windows and Safari on Mac. It's slightly annoying sure but like the other poster said Chrome needs to be avoided at all costs on a Mac

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Pretty much it.

And you can keep waiting for a long time even with Chrome Canary around.

Just use Safari. I don't get why people must insist on using Chrome and then complain about the fan noise. You want to use Chrome, you've to learn to deal with the heat. Otherwise, just use Safari. Besides, Safari is more secure and doesn't snoop on you.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try Chrome Canary if you want the "Google" experience it`s far better optimised for OS X, equally as previously stated Safari is the best option.

Q-6

7. mcawinkels thread starter macrumors newbie

mcawinkels

I started to use Chrome because my University's website doesn't work properly on Safari (they are working on solving it but somehow that takes a year already). When I close down Chrome and my computer goes on the screensaver (the fancy one with all the pictures), the fan also starts blowing.

Is this also normal? Or do you think maybe I should have it checked? I would still like to know if there is some way I can do a test to see if my computer is still working as it should..

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You could try using Firefox instead.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Lets put it this way your computer is fine with photoshop and illustrator two big resource hungry professional apps and rubbish with chrome. It's chrome, your computer is fine. You could try adblock and click to flash on chrome to stop websites automatically spinning up flash videos in chrome (Flash and chrome is the double whammy for macs) however the plugins for chrome that do this are themselves badly coded for OSX and also a bit of a resource hog.

Why not give firefox or another browser a go. There are many browsers out there...

10. Hypnosizz macrumors newbie

Hypnosizz

The fans often kick up when I'm watching 1080p videos on Youtube, using Google Chrome also.
    I feel the Chrome consumes a lot of battery than the Safari.