macbook pro retina 15" late 2013, rough handling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abley22, Dec 28, 2013.

1. abley22 macrumors member

Hello.

I have a new macbook pro 15" retina late 2013 model.
    My question is how its handle rough handling?

My son on 2 year have climb up to my computer desk and he stand on the top of it with the knees down to the macbook, the macbook was locked so the screen was down .

It was in closed posission but thought to ask here if it may not good for the MacBook to get the weight of a 2 year old on top of a closed macbook? Even though it was in locked posision. How solid is theas macbook pro with retina?

Thanks for all replays i could get :)

2. rgeneral macrumors member

I think it is safe to say you are taking a big risk. pressure like that can crack the LCD.

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

As spoken above, I don't think it's a good idea to put any unnatural stress on laptop, especially when the lid is closed. If the lid is open, a 10-15kg mass won't really damage the keyboard or the lower casing. If the lid is closed, the weight could damage the screen or crack the glass. In the future, keep your kids off of the laptop.

Regards
    Raptor

4. abley22 thread starter macrumors member

I agree, it happens very fast, but i don't think it will happend again.

As you say the mac could handle 10-15kg on the top of keyboard/chassi but on the top of the screen/lid is more risk. The screen just works fine so i think its nothing more to worry about? "only" the screen could go wrong, i watch it like a hauk and i have it inside my office room, but one day the door was open for maby 5 minutes and a lot of thing could happen fast when i was on the toilet and forgot to lock the door.

I just wanna ask, if its a laptop and it will get more rough handling than a iMac or Mac mini, the lid feels strong but as you say unnatural thing isn't smart for anything..

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Get insurance. I guess with kids you can never be 100% safe. And while the MBPs usually can take a few hits, it might as well break next time.

And one thing is 100% sure: Repairs are expensive!!!

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, you really can't be careful enough with kids around. The best advise I can give you is to buy a case. I use the incase neoprene zipped sleeve.

Regards
    Raptor

7. masterpace macrumors regular

It's way too risky!

The Macbook Pro Retina 15 is a marvel in terms of design, looks, performance... all in a very tiny and lightweight package. However, the screen part is definitely less robust than the "classic" ones (previous generations). The screen protection is a bit tiny and fragile. I can speak for myself. About a year ago, I accidentally hit the top left part of the screen (inside) with my arm. The impact went through the LCD itself and my screen was totally screwed up! The Mac Genius admitted that the new MBP retina is somewhat more "fragile", but since it was an accident, I had to pay for a full screen replacement (including the aluminium enclosure). Total cost? About 800 $ canadian! Even with that misfortune, I still love my MBP. But, let's say I'm a bit more cautious this time around... :)

Bottom line: I would never ever leave the MBP retina without surveillance. The enclosure is not robust like a tank or the one of an Alienware!

8. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

9. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

10. abley22 thread starter macrumors member

Amazing how much the MacBooks can handle!
    Its hurt to see this video haha, but i got a idea how much it could handle, thanks a lot for the video link and any tip that i have got guys!