Macbook Pro Retina 15, Triple external displays, not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kronoss, Mar 12, 2014.

1. kronoss macrumors newbie

The reason i went for a Macbook Pro Retina, is because i wanted to use 3 external displays, the internet is scattered with posts like these:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20...n-run-three-external-displays-simultaneously/

But it doesnt work, If i plug the HDMI, a thunderbolt ports stops working.

I currently have 2x thunderbolt to HDMI, and 1x Hdmi to Hdmi, 3 monitors with hdmi inputs.

Is there any way to make this work ? Only thing i can think of, its because i dont have the Nvidia card and only have the Haswell Iris Pro.

2. durkkin macrumors regular

Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The Apple support article that is linked in the picture that you linked to has been changed, in an important area.

From this article - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#18
    same link, but look at note 4:
    Or, you have a limitation that requires native Thunderbolt displays, and not Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters. (I don't have a way to test that)

4. theromz macrumors regular

Found this on the Cnet review.

Maybe you need 1 Thunderbolt, then 1 (hdmi/dvi/vga) -> thunderbolt and the 3rd is a HDMI for it too work.

I have a 13" rmbp and I use 2 monitors at work both dvi -> thunderbolt, I'll see if I can test on a 3rd HDMI monitor.

5. kronoss thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing worked, i tried all possible combinations.

VGA/DVI/HDMI/Passive Display Port Adapter

Im returning it, because I am also getting bright highlight artifacts when watching videos on external monitors.

I will swap it out for a Nvidia version, and let you know how it goes.

6. joedog macrumors newbie

Did you ever get triple external monitors to work with Macbook and Nvidia graphics? On a 2012 13" rMBP (Intel GPU) it does not work at all under OS X, but works flawlessly under Linux . I have tried both active and passive DP adaptors, makes no difference. Afaics OS X does not support triple external displays through Intel GPU on Macbook , even though the hardware can do it.

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

...this might be exactly the problem right here. On the nVidia versions, the external display ports are wired up to the nVidia chip, so external displays will use the dGPU. It may be that Iris Pro does not support 4 displays, and the nVidia solution does.

-- Nathan

EDIT: Dang; didn't notice this was a necro'd thread; my bad. Interesting that the latest respondent here that ended up resurrecting this thread sounded like he managed to get 3 external displays + internal display to work on a non-dGPU model of rMBP in an OS other than OS X (Linux), though.