MacBook Pro Retina 15" Weird Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jazper, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Jazper macrumors 6502a

This isn't a very loud noise, I'm not likely to take it to a store to 'fix' it unless it gets worse, I'm just curious.

The noise sounds exactly like a hard drive spinning, I've also noticed I can hear it more when I'm installing something - it seems to be coming from underneath the trackpad - it's pretty faint and only happens occasionally, I'm just wondering what it is.

Thanks

2. mrmali macrumors member

its so normal cause i have changed my mbp retina 13inch late2013 4 times about this weird sound, at the end they said me that it has caused by the ssd cause it has working within electric so that it makes that noise you don't have to be weird as i said i have changed 4 times and sometimes i can hear it too. :D

3. Angriff macrumors member

It seems to be that all the SSDs in the rMBPs make this noise, but the volume can vary on individual machines. If you get super lucky you may get one that is quiet enough you'd need a stethoscope to hear it; if you're unlucky the noise may be noticeable. Either way I don't think it's a big deal. Personally the first rMBP 15" I got was basically silent, and this one I can hear a bit of noise when the SSD is really strained in a quiet room, but it's really just not a big enough issue to try and play the lottery with screens and other issues.

4. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

There's a thread on this at least once a week it seems.

At this point, it seems safe to assume that rMBPs make noise... Although in my case, the noise is coming from the MagSafe port area (multiple threads on that noise as well.

5. Gpro macrumors member

Gpro

interesting, i never realised that on mine, Seems to be silent

6. mrmali macrumors member

no its coming through ssd side

----------

you have that weird sound too if you want to see that insert a usb and make a copy issue in that time open your backlit light like 2-3 points you will see the result the noise effects the light too

7. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

I was just talking about sounds in general. Mine is coming from the MagSafe area, but there are threads on noises from both places.

What I mean is that rMBPs make noise, and it's probably nothing to worry about.