Macbook Pro Retina 15" Windows gaming stutter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simeporiti, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Simeporiti macrumors newbie

Hello all! First time poster here, with a question:) Two years ago, I've bought the first gen Macbook Retina Pro. Since the beginning, I've been using it for Windows 7 gaming with Bootcamp, among other things. And also since the beginning, I've been having problems with framerate stutter in basically all modern, 3D games (older games or newer ones with less intensive graphics are ok). The framerate itself is good, generally, if I tweak the settings right - for the first 30 seconds or so, games run great, then, irrespective of the resolution and quality of settings, the games begin to stutter. It doesn't matter if I turn to low settings and abysmal resolutions, the damn stutter persists. Upon exiting the game and coming back in, the process repeats - game runs ok, then begins to stutter, with seemingly normal framerates when measured. The most recent game is Dark Souls 2, and here I can't stand it anymore. I've updated my drivers in all ways possible, automatically, manually, you name it. I've reset the SMC. Any ideas about what to do?

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Sounds like the GPU is being throttled because it's getting too hot.

Where/how is the MacBook Pro placed? How are the temps? (Check with istat or something like that)

3. Simeporiti thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny how it works out like that. Temps were fine, but that comment about throttling gor me googling again, so now I'm using Nvidia Inspector, Throttlestop and Mac Fan Control. For the first time in 2 years I can game properly! Thanks for the help :)

4. robegian macrumors member

robegian

I have the a similar problem with my MacBook Pro Retina 15" late 2013 (i7 2.3GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT750M + Intel Iris), but the stutter seems to appear more randomly, sometimes about every 5 seconds, and in any application, not only in games - even in Google Chrome.

It's likely in my case it's not the GPU, bu anyway: do you have some links to some page explaining how Nvidia Inspector, Throttlestop and Mac Fan Control may help?

Thanks in advance :)

5. bkribbs macrumors 65816

What exactly was the problem and how did you fix that?

6. robegian macrumors member

robegian

In case of my MBP, the culprit probably was Bluetooth networking.

When I disabled that and Wi-Fi, the problem disappeared. Then I tried re-enabling these services and the problem showed again when I activated Bluetooth networking. Wi-Fi networking seemed to make no difference instead.

7. Pudlo macrumors member

Had same problem. Just take your mac to apple store for cleaning;)
    or do it yourself. Unscrew bottom case and you will probably see big dust at the exit of vents. remove it and you will be fine;)

8. pschwaab macrumors newbie

Sorry to revive an old post, but I am having a very similar issue on my 13" MacBook Pro non Retina. Games like Skyrim, Saints Row 3, and Star Wars: The old Republic used to run fine under bootcamp. Now, they stutter like crazy, no matter how much I turn the graphics down. OP How did you manage to make it work right using those three softwares you mentioned?

----------

Second post because I forgot to quote, might make more sense.