Macbook pro retina (2012) vs Macbook Pro retina 2014 HELP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JakeDG, Mar 10, 2015.

1. JakeDG macrumors newbie

Hi guys I'm in the market for a new mac book and need help i have the chance to buy a year and a half old Mac book PRO Retina (late 2012) with the following specs. OS X Yosemite, 2.5 GHZ intel Core i5, 8GB 1600 MHZ DDR3, Intel HD graphics 4000 1024 MB, and the 128 GB SSD. Are these specs still considered good compared to the new 2014 or 2015 (not sure what are in stores now) models ? I have the chance to buy one but don't want to waste my money on something that's going to be no good in 3 years time. Any help is great! Are there any drawback or flaws in the late 2012 model that i should be aware of ? What is the main difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jake

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

What price is the seller asking? Is this a 13" or 15" rMBP? Knowing this will help determine if it's worthwhile or not.

3. JakeDG thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi the seller is asking $700 it is a year and a half old not used very much its my cousins friend so i know the usage had been little. It is the 13 " model.

4. JakeDG thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anybody explain to me the drawbacks or if i should do it or not? I had the fella hold it for me untill tonight so i need to know soon.

Thanks, Jake

5. dxmac99 macrumors regular

6. David58117 macrumors 65816

For $1150 you can get a new one...which means you can find refurbs for cheaper.

I would save and get a 2014 model..

7. JakeDG thread starter macrumors newbie

128 is fine for me i probably wont use half of it. I have an external drive. I just need to know if this model was a goo or bad or if it still compares to a brand new one. I want something to last me 4 plus years of good working order.

----------

It is $1400 plus tax here where i live to. No place to buy referb.

8. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

There is stuff in it (the battery, at least, possibly also the SSD) that probably wasn't designed with a lifetime of 6-7 years in mind.

I'm not saying stuff will necessarily break, or that if it does it won't be replaceable, given some work or money: My stepdaughter still uses a '08 or '09 (I forget which) white macbook where the only thing I've had to help her replace is the battery. Of course in that model, switching batteries was easy.
    What I do say, though, is that paying some more may give you a higher chance that nothing breaks while the machine is critical for your work. Whatever you choose, it is a gamble, and only you can decide what seems best to you.

Regarding possible problems specifically with the 2012 model, I'm sure there are others who are better informed than what I am.