Macbook Pro Retina 2015 with two DVI or HDMI monitors

sundragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
I know this question has been asked before but I've had a hard time finding any proper response in the forums.

I have a 2015 MBP retina 13" It's got two Thunderbolt ports and a DVI port. I want to use two monitors and the built in display at the same time using two Dell monitors with HDMI, DVI or Displayport output to a hub/port replicator to my MBPr. Ideally through a hub so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging everything and reduce the wear and hassle each time I get to work.

I plan on purchasing the monitors so I can be flexible on what the outputs are (HDMI, DVI, DP), however, I do not want to purchase two Thunderbolt monitors from Apple as I'm trying to save money. I know each Thunderbolt/DP port can run a DP monitor separately. I also know you can run one monitor from the HDMI and one monitor from the Thunderbolt/DP port.

Does anyone have a solution that allows me to leave the MBPr open so I can use it's built in display and both monitors at the same time and isn't >$200?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It can already do that. Direct from apples tech spec page.

• Dual display and video mirroring: simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840x2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colours.
Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters (sold separately)
HDMI video output
  • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
  • Support for 3840x2160 resolution at 30Hz
  • Support for 4096x2160 resolution at 24Hz

sundragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
It can already do that. Direct from apples tech spec page.

• Dual display and video mirroring: simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840x2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colours.
Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters (sold separately)
HDMI video output
  • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
  • Support for 3840x2160 resolution at 30Hz
  • Support for 4096x2160 resolution at 24Hz
I appreciate the response. Maybe I didn't do a good job conveying my question:

I get that it can do that - What I'd like is a simple dock so it's a single cable from my MBPr the dock for my wired Ethernet, both output cables to the monitors, and any USB adapters - VS attaching each of those separately each time I get into the office - less wear and tear on the ports and less hassle?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The no I don't know any solutions, you can either pay for a thunderbolt dock or pay for a horizontal henge dock, or plug everything in and out of your mac when you need to, those are your options.

sundragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
The no I don't know any solutions, you can either pay for a thunderbolt dock or pay for a horizontal henge dock, or plug everything in and out of your mac when you need to, those are your options.
Thanks, I'm surprised no one has come up with that - Most PCs have those ugly port replicators so it's easy to just plug in and go with all the peripherals.

sundragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
Thanks, it looks interesting in that it would be a great way to use a single cable but I wonder what the performance would be with all that off a single USB 3 port (two displays, and gigabit Ethernet in my case). I wonder if they have a Thunderbolt version as I think it has the bandwidth to handle all of that.

That being said, the reviews look good