Macbook Pro Retina 3rd REPAIR HELP!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audirs7, May 11, 2015.

1. audirs7 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I wanted to write here today to get your opinions on what to do and how to go forward with the situation.

So here's my story of the road with my mbp Retina 15" so far. I purchased the computer with my hard earned money in December of 2012. Within the same month of purchasing it, there were pixels and black circle appearing all over the screen, so the Apple store issues a repair. They repaired the computer by putting on a new display. Fast forward to June 2014, the same issue appeared. This time it also included a graphics card issue, so Apple replaced the screen one more time hoping that it would resolve the issue. Fast forward to today, the logic board crashed. I was simply updating the computer to the latest security firmware and photos app updates. After the computer turned on, it wouldn't stay on for longer then 2 minutes. It would constantly restart, and i would say restarted about 20 times in 10-15 minutes. Considering i just graduated college Friday and this happened the day after, I panicked and took it to the Apple store. They diagnosed the issue and informed me that it was the logic board crashing, and they sent it to Cupertino for repair.

My concern is that this is the 3rd repair on a computer that is roughly 2 years old. I am a recent college graduate, am applying to med schools, am taking the mcat, gre for masters programs, and am applying for more jobs, and am also currently working and I need my computer more than ever. This just puts my entire life on hold and is very frustrating. I am certain that this computer is defective, but Apple won't budge. I called the Apple store manager today at my local apple store that issued the repair, and he made his stance clear. He asserted that Apple technicians are amazing at what they do, and that they could fix any issue with this computer in the future. This is just very discouraging and disheartening because Apple won't sympathize with my situation or problem at all, and won't understand the fact that if this computer requires a repair post warranty, I won't have the funds for it.

I don't know what to do in this situation. Considering that this computer is being repaired for the THIRD time...doesn't that speak volumes to you guys??

Sorry for the rant. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on how to go forward.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I think you have been unlucky, but I don't think its something thats bound to happen at some point. My friend has the first 15" unibody MBP from 2008 still going strong, another just replaced an old 17" from 2005.

You rarely hear stories of happy owners because they are busy just using it, If you encounter problems you are more likely to write about them online.

If I were in your shoes I would be gutted but it wouldn't make me worry about future problems. It sounds like you bought a duff machine but the two main parts (display and logic board) have been replaced with new parts. The way I see it is you have extended the life of your machine.

4. prism macrumors 6502a

What I dont understand is that you mention that serious problems appeared within the month of purchasing it. If I were in your shoes, I would have insisted at that moment in time that they replace what is clearly a defective machine with a brand new one.
    It is likely that you got a "lemon" which explains the series of problems that appeared over time.
    I would discuss the whole history of problems with them and see what solution they come up with.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's a risk you take with any computer

It's the same as buying a car some are just lemons. As a poster above says, why did you not insist on a new one when the first died within a month?

I don't know what is disheartening for you the computer has served you well for 2 years and is still being fixed under warranty no questions asked. If it goes again within warranty they will probably replace it.

The only thing I have an issue with is the claim by the manager that apple technicians are any good, in my experience they are the lowest common denominator in computer technicians that can barely use a screwdriver.

Other than that it seems apple are living up to their end of the bargain They are fixing your computer for the third time under warranty as promised in their terms and conditions, I don't see what your problem is.

If you know you will always need a computer and cannot afford time without one then you either need a spare, or a business computer account with 24 hour on site service and all the costs etc associated with such a service.