Macbook Pro Retina 650m vs 750m VRAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duderman67, Oct 31, 2013.

1. duderman67 macrumors newbie

New Haswell-based Macbook Pro Retina has 2GB VRAM but its 750m card goes only with 128 bit memory interface. Do we can see any differences between 128-bit 650m with 1GB VRAM and 128-bit 750m with 2GB VRAM if they have so small interface?

[Sorry for bad English]

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The memory interface has not much to do with VRAM size. It has to match the processing power in the shader cores and other processing parts of the GPU. It has to feed data to the processor.
    VRAM size has to do with quality settings in games or the amount of stuff the GPU can handle in pro apps. Every 650M in Windows notebook came with 2GB VRAM and that really should have been the standard for that GPU. If there is enough VRAM you can get better picture quality in games.
    At a certain amount VRAM doesn't help anymore but if the GPU lacks VRAM you basically have to play at lower quality than you could. I.e. in GTA you cannot set viewing distance as far away. Some texture packs will destroy performance if the game lets you enable them at all while with enough vram you are just fine.

Basically 2GB is what a GPU at the performance of a 650M should have come with all along. It doesn't increase performance - as in fps - because most game engines automatically will adjust settings so that all the data fits into vram and besides more texture flickering the fps side should be fine.
    More VRAM also gets you decent performance for longer. Today the minimum VRAM is at least 512MB on new games and is starting to get to 1GB for some.

3. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Well put.
    It's not so much a doubling of VRAM gives you better FPS (it might in some circumstances) but when you factor in higher texture settings, certain particle effects and especially high res texture packs like you get for Skyrim then there will be a noticeable difference.
    Really depends on the settings and the game.
    I'm waiting for more comprehensive reviews to see what improvements, if any have been made. Got mine ordered so I'm really looking forward to gaming on it!