MacBook Pro Retina 8 vs 16 RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TTyylleerr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. TTyylleerr macrumors member

Im sure everyone is tired of questions like this but here goes :)

I'm a student in my final year of College, which is primarily what I'm buying this computer for. Business courses, so nothing crazy intensive in terms of computer usage.

Anyway, I generally will use it for web browsing (8-10 tabs), checking email school projects in MS word or PowerPoint, light gaming, etc

The most intensive use-case will probably be 8-10 tabs in Safari, iTunes, plus 8-10 tabs in chrome running under windows 7 in paralles, a few MS word documents, and a PowerPoint or two, and a couple email clients all at once.

I plan on keeping this computer for three years, I'll likely sell it when after that point. I'm not overly concerned about resale value

For the above scenario, will 8 gigs suffice?

Thanks for any advice.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

I do that with 4gb on my MBA, you'll be fine.

3. randomhkkid macrumors member

8gigs will be plenty, 16gb will only really benefit if you are doing large photo editing or video production.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Exactly!!!

5. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

from what I understand the ram in the MBP Retina is not upgradeable. It's soldered on the mainboard. So I would go with the max configuration if you expect to be using this laptop in a few years.
    At least that is my plan when I get around to ordering one.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I agree, being that you can't upgrade I would go with the max you can get. That is of course if you can afford it.

7. TTyylleerr thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your replies.

I ended up calling Apple again to update from 8 to 16 gigs. With the student discount, it's only $180. Doubtful ill need the extra, but it will be nice with Parallels, give me peace of mind, and assure I won't have any RAM problems in the future.

Plus the Apple rep offered to send me a Super Drive free of charge, which made my day.

Unfortunately the delivery is now another week out, being July 19th to 25th, and I go on holidays on the 24th. Oh well :)

8. wiznet macrumors regular

I did the same. It'll be worth it in the end, especially in promoting the longevity of the device... you might not need the extra 8 now, but you might a few years down the road!