Macbook Pro Retina Advice before purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bosanceros, Jul 29, 2014.

1. bosanceros macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just want some opinions before i make a purchase on the newly updated macbook pro retina. I'm wondering which model to purchase. I'm getting the 13' but need some advice. Should I be getting the 128GB? Is it enough? I wont be doing any video editing or storing any images/video. Although I WILL be installing windows.

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

3. bosanceros thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the difference between the 128GB and 256GB in terms of performance?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not much, but you'll quickly run out of space in all likelihood

5. bosanceros thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, the difference in price is $260.

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

That depends on usage. If it's your primary computer, then 128 GB probably isn't enough. But if the laptop is not your primary computer, then 128 GB might be enough. For example, I only use my laptop for Keynote presentations, surfing the internet, writing, and Netflix. 128 GB would suffice for me, because I use an external hard drive for documents and presentations.

7. bosanceros thread starter macrumors newbie

No wont be the main computer. Similar situation as you, would be used for surfing the net, streaming, writing etc. Although as I said earlier I will be installing Windows on it.

8. mominsky macrumors newbie

I have the exact same question here....Been watching for the new model, and ready to order today. I am a computer programmer, spend a TON of time on the computer - want to be able to work away from my desk - so this will be a desktop replacement. That being said, i have a NAS at home, and the pro has an SD card slot - so i assume i can throw a 128gb SD card in (which is much cheaper than the $200 premium for the extra 128 internal ssd).

All of my programming work is done through remote desktop to a windows server, so no issues there - the only concern i really have is torrenting things, but but with my NAS, i dont really see a problem with 128 gigs of space internal.

Would everyone agree, that in this scenario, with using cloud services like skydrive (onedrive), and having a NAS (which i will probably get a better/faster one with the $200 savings from this thing), SD card, plus USB sticks - i really shouldnt have to worry about running out of space with only 128?

The one last thing - since this is gonna be my first mac (i have an ipad/iphone), if you run out of internal storage, can you install PROGRAMS to the sd card/usb stick/etc.? or is that a no-no?

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

There's no reason why you can't install things to an external device, just you normally wouldn't.

I was debating 512/1Tb for my purchase, so our uses are very different.

If install Windows too I'd still say 128Gb would be too small. Only you yourself can judge. You have 14 days to return.

10. bosanceros thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm thinking its not going to be enough space for installing windows also.

11. bosanceros thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I'm thinking whether I even need windows installed onto it. What would be the reasons to install windows anyway?

12. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Yes, its enough OP. I had less years ago (74 GB) and used my system for word apps, internet, some YouTube, forums, Some Wallpaper, Music, Pictures, etc. Had plenty left over for years. I also used a thumb drive for savings of music/pictures that I would not look/listen to. Anyone that says you need more for what you do, are the ones that save everything under the sun on the system.

My next MacBook Pro will have 128 GB. No need to spend more that one will not use and have other means like Thumb Drives and or External drives

13. Gman021 macrumors regular

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Why don't you look in the refurb store? The 8/256 2013 model that was $1499 2 days ago can now be had for $1189. Only thing you'd be giving up is the slight bump in processor speed which will never be noticed.

The 2013 8/256 can be had for $110 less than the new 8/128 model. To me it's an amazing deal.

15. bosanceros thread starter macrumors newbie

Not where I am.

16. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

128 will be fine. Images, music, and videos are mainly what fill up drives for most people. You could allocate 32 GB to Windows and have enough space for basic stuff like email, word processing, etc. And if you ever ran out, you can get external HDDs incredibly cheaply, or store stuff online.

18. bradley8795 macrumors member

I'd go for the 128, you could always upgrade it later if it became necessary. Before deciding on a bigger hard drive I would up the RAM.

19. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Then go with 128.