Macbook Pro Retina advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tony5787, Aug 11, 2012.

  1. Tony5787 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    #1
    I currently have the base model February 2011 13" Macbook Pro and I'm thinking about upgrading the factory SATA drive with an SSD and possibly upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 16GB. I use this computer primarily for web design and photography and I've contemplated buying the Thunderbolt display to use along with it while at home. However, I've realized that it may be more beneficial to just sell my current Macbook Pro as it is and get the base Retina MBP with upgraded RAM. I'm still in college so I'll be using the laptop's display heavily which draws me to the Retina (especially the increase in real estate which is seriously lacking right now). What would you guys do in this situation? Upgrade my current laptop and buy the display or sell my MBP and get the Retina MBP?
     
  2. \-V-/ Suspended

    \-V-/

    Joined:
    May 3, 2012
  3. east85 macrumors 65816

    east85

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #3
    Unless you absolutely need to upgrade I wouldn't bother being an early adopter. You should wait for the first revision/upgrade if at all possible in any given circumstance. Good luck!
     
  4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

    dmccloud

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    Location:
    Anchorage, AK
    #4
    I'd upgrade the RAM and keep the current MBP. Unless you need the Retina MBP for a specific reason (i.e. not just screen real estate), you're better off keeping it for now and then upgrading a year or two down the road.
     
  5. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    #5
    I wouldn't invest in an old laptop. Sell it (resale value is great for yours) and get that Retina bad boy.
     
  6. Fed macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Location:
    Liverpool.
    #6
    What would the absolutely need to upgrade group be defined as?
     
  7. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #7
    I'd say wait it out if it isn't lagging horribly. Something as minor as 8GB of ram would satisfy most people. If the rMBP offerings expand, expect that one to tank in value. Everyone just wants it right now because it's new. Later many of those same people will dump theirs for the latest thing and complain that they're taking a loss:rolleyes:. Take a look at how much some of the silly people are asking for their 2011s in the marketplace. They don't want to lose a lot, yet they want the latest thing. It tends to work best at the low end where people just want a mac yet can't afford one.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Given that you have such a new MBP, I'd say your benefit is going to be minimal.

    You will get more screen real estate going from 13" to 15"
    a better GPU (mostly moving from integrated to discrete)
    a better screen with the retina display.
    Performance increase around 15%

    You lose the optical drive, firewire and ethernet port.

    Are these additions and subtractions worth the price of the retina? If it were me, I'd say no, unless one of those points were a show stopper, i.e., I need more screen real estate.
     
  9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    and then wait for the third, then the fourth, and before you know it, you're 84 years old and thinking "what the hell, I never did buy that awesome Apple laptop."

    If you've got the funds to expend and they aren't going to go anywhere more useful, then party on and buy the new MacBook!
     

Share This Page