MacBook Pro Retina and Canon Pixma 7150 Colours

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Communicator, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Communicator macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some advice.

I recently downloaded Adobe LightRoom 5 from Amazon and am beginning to get to grips with it, and mostly liking it.

I'm using a 15" MacBook Pro Retina and I bought a new Canon Pixma MG 7150 printer to print A4 size on Canon Glossy Photo Paper.

The results I get are varied. After processing, the photos on screen look good, but the prints I get from the printer can be sometimes OK, sometimes lighter in tone, some colours not as expected, eg. olive green has a brown cast.

I wouldn't expect the MacBook screen to need calibrated.
    So do I need to set a printer profile?
    If so, how on the MacBook Pro? Where do I find the Pixma 7150 paper profiles? If in the Lightroom print module if I choose other than 'manage by printer', the folder is empty. There are no profiles saved, even of the Canon paper that I use.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Many thanks for reading this.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Calibrate a monitor...always. And recalibrate before printing any image that is important. For mission critical images, calibrate the printer also.

You typically find paper profiles at the paper company website. The ICC profile should be for a specific paper used on a specific printer. I would have thought that Canon would have provided you with a profile for all Canon papers as part of the software that should have come with the printer. If not, look at the Canon site for your country/region for the Canon paper ICC profiles.

Here is a good link for learning how and where to put ICC profiles on a Mac.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/how_to_install_ICC_color_profiles_mac_apple.html

3. Communicator thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, MCAsan,

I have ordered a Datacolor Spyder4 PRO unit to calibrate the MacBook Pro screen so hopefully that will help to sort out the colour difference between screen and prints.

To connect the printer, I originally linked the printer to my MacBook via the router. That worked fine, except that I then had no ICC profiles for Canon papers. The disk that came with the printer was Windows only! I ended up downloading the whole printer package from Canon and I installed just what I needed. Now I do have Canon printer / ICC profiles.

I am very much a novice at using Lightroom, so if you have any suggestion for the correct settings for best results in the printer module re: Colorsync / Managed by Canon printer, or the paper settings, I'd be pleased to hear them.

Thank you again for your reply, and your time.

4. Communicator thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again, MCAsan, for the information links above.
    I have already watched the Youtube video. Excellent.
    I've also ordered Scott Kelby's book on Lightroom 5.
    I think I'm beginning to get to grips with the Adobe Lightroom 5 and liking it.
    I probably need to study in depth one module at a time.
    That may take a while!

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Worth getting a colour checker passport or the like to further improve your workflow.
    Been using LR for about a year, and its amazing how much better your photos get.