Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chakdey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I am looking to buy the new LG 34UC98 which is a 34-Inch WQHD IPS Curved LED Monitor. The question i can not find a answer to anywhere, will the text on the monitor be as crisp and sharp as it is on the retina display on the macbook pro? This monitor is not 4k and my macbook pro retina is late 2013 model.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
No it won't it's over 2x bigger and has less pixels of course it won't be as sharp, however at a sensible desktop viewing distance it should look pretty damn good.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
4K is your only option at that size then and when you look at pixels per inch it won't be quite as sharp but at the distance you'll have to use it from it'll look the same.

ValiumEater

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
I have that display. The text is fine unless you're a nitpicker. The wideness is killer!

chakdey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I have that display. The text is fine unless you're a nitpicker. The wideness is killer!

sadly I'm a nitpicker lol

But how would you rate the text compared to the retina? Lets say retina text is 10/10?

How would you rate the monitor overall compared to the retina?

pushingrobot

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014

But how would you rate the text compared to the retina? Lets say retina text is 10/10?

It depends on your eyesight; only you can decide. I definitely prefer the clarity of high-DPI text but I know many people who don't care at all.

If it helps, a 34" 3440x1440 screen has the same size pixels as a 27" 2560x1440 screen (like the pre-retina iMac), and also the same as a 15.6" 1440x900 (like the classic MacBook Pro). It's also roughly the same as a 20" 1920x1080 screen. If you can't find a 34" screen, any of the others should give you a close approximation of the picture quality.

ValiumEater

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015

From a standard viewing distance you don't notice it very much at all say 7/10, but only if you're really looking for it. Besides, for me, the pure width and real estate of the LG overrides any pixel density in terms of functionality for what I do. It also doesn't bog down the GPU with having to drive more pixels that I wouldn't notice anyway.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

rfmondo

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2016
hi i just got the display and i had the same concerns but decided to see for myself and i am quite happy with it considering im used to retina super crisp display (and im a graphic artist) i guess it's not too different from the apple thunderbolt display "visible pixels". quite happy but i need help from the ones who have the same setup:
LG 34UC98 + macbook pro 15 retina mid 2015 via thunderbolt to thunderbolt:
can you please confirm or is it just my unit that has "flickering pixels" when my screen displays all black image? nothing wrong with my macbook when i check but with the LG i see a few flickering pixels. they come and go but it really gets annoying. please confirm before i carry this back to bestbuy and ask for a replacement. thanks in advance!

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
I am looking to buy the new LG 34UC98 which is a 34-Inch WQHD IPS Curved LED Monitor. The question i can not find a answer to anywhere, will the text on the monitor be as crisp and sharp as it is on the retina display on the macbook pro? This monitor is not 4k and my macbook pro retina is late 2013 model.

I have a 40"+ 4K monitor, and also the 29" Ultra-Wide Screen, Curved Samsung Monitor. They are both good in different ways, the UWS screen suits the Mac very well, and it's still crisp and clean, but not as good as the 4K. One thing to know is that you MUST use a MDP to DP cable for this, else your Mac will not display the full resolution of the UWS screen.

Likewise if you do decide on a 4M monitor instead, you will HAVE to use a MDP to HDMI2 adapter that is capable of 60Hz else you will have a flickery picture. I have both so have the benefit of both types of monitor......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.