MacBook Pro Retina any problems to look out for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakesaunders27, Sep 5, 2014.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi,
    Should be getting a top spec 15" Retina MacBook Pro at the weekend from my nearest Apple Store, I've read about a couple of problems like the coatings on the screen coming off and some backlight bleed etc, is there anything else I should look for to check that mines a good one and not got any problems?

Cheers

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Should be good

You'll read a lot online about problems but I have yet to see any of these problems in the wild. Reading forums will make you think they are all bad but this is a minority of customers.

Screen coating coming off is usually down to using alcohol based cleaners, apple reccomend only using a very small amount of warm water to clean the computer so avoid any alcohol and you should be fine.

Backlight bleed will be apparent and any sort of screen discolouration can often be fixed with a calibration.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The coating is something that seems to occur with age and/or with the people trying to clean it AFAIK.

Definitely check it, but I don't think this will be an issue with a brand new MBP - at least not right out of the gate.

I've had my rMBP for 2 years, and so far the coating is intact. I'm now probably more cautious but nonetheless its still looking great.

4. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

5. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Also, wouldn't you be able to get the coating/screen fixed for free under AppleCare? I have that problem with mine, and was definitely planning to have it repaired.

To the OP, the one thing I'd be really careful of is quality control on the display. Apple has for years used inferior LG screens aside superior Samsung screens (it was most apparent on the Macbook Air's, so apparent in fact that they only showed models with Samsung screens as display models in the store), as well as with the image retention in the RMBPs.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

And I hope you have purchased AppleCare as well. :apple: