MacBook Pro Retina battery life drop every 10 minutes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leftroom, Oct 4, 2012.

1. leftroom macrumors 6502

Hello again MacRumors.

Sorry that I'm so bad searching the forums but..

I'm watching a DVD now with the screen brightness set to 4-5 dots from the lowest setting and I can watch my battery life go from 5:49, to 5:39, 5:29 and so on. Now it is on 4:29 when I'm writing this.

What's the deal here? I have accepted that the battery life isn't so good that I was predicted but you can't get everything here in life. Why is it that the battery drops every 10 minutes? I know I shouldn't worry or care but somewhat I do anyway.. Because I DO WANT good battery life, let's say 5-6 hours?

Cheers

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Based on my experience the battery performance of the rMBP I used was every bit as good and stable as the battery performance in my 15" 2011 cMBP.

We've got several of these at work and they are all just fine. If they were having battery problems I would be one of the first to know.

The only current battery problems I'm aware of is with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

DVDs are going to burn a lot of power, watching a movie file will be less.

5. leftroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your answer.
    Maybe I was a bit worried because now I turned of the Wifi and the battery life is at 4 hours while watching the DVD.

I sure not hope I got a bad example of the Retina macbook pro. I have been having a lot of other issues as well with my beloved computer. It seems that I'm worried to much about nothing really, or everything that doesn't matter if you know what I mean.

6. Fresh Burek macrumors newbie

I think his question is why it's decreasing in 10 minute increments. Why 5:39, 5:29, 5:19 instead of 5:46, 5:49, 5:31. etc...

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

WiFi isn't going to really help here especially if you're not actively using the internet, you have a physical drive running continually for ~120 minutes, plus display. ~5 hours seems fine for that kind of usage, though it is a bit weird that you're battery drop is in those increments.

8. leftroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, no worries. I maybe found out that it is in the beginning when I pull out the battery cord that the battery life goes every ten minutes. But now it is like 3:42, 3:36, 3:23 and so on.

So... maybe it isn't a "problem", only my paranoia about everything going wrong with the computer?

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

That number is the computer's own estimate based on current usage, nothing more, nothing less. Take it with a grain of salt, varying your usage pattern will make that number jump all over the place.

I wouldn't worry about it at all if I were you.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm sure your computer is fine.

Also, remember that most of the posts do talk about problems because that's why people come here, for help. Therefore it makes any model look worse than it is since there's no reason to post if all is well.

With the situation you reported, it's more about getting used to how it operates. Apple is known for excellent battery management & charging performance.

I say focus on just using it and enjoying what a great laptop it is.

11. leftroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, you guys are right :) It is probably because of the problems I had:

Kernel_task at 100%, can't reboot normally because everything hangs and that the whole computer freezes. It isn't a problem with the battery but yesterday I thought it was a problem when the battery decreased every 10 minutes.

Nevermind, all the things I've been trough with this.. It seemed like a problem. But maybe it's not. :)