Macbook Pro Retina black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluewomble88, Jun 21, 2014.

1. bluewomble88 macrumors regular

Hi

I bought a 13" Retina Macbook Pro in January for college.
    In truth, I haven't used it much and only for Photoshop or Dreamweaver. It only gets used on the sofa, it's always kept in a case and very well looked after. It hasn't been dropped.

Anyway, today I wanted to use it but it wouldn't come on. I expected this and knew the battery was dead seeing as I last used it 2 weeks ago. So, I plugged it in and switched on immediately. I opened Dreamweaver and began making some minor changes to a site I've been working on.

All of a sudden, the screen went black and the machine had powered off. I pushed the power button 3 or 4 times and nothing happened. The orange light was still on the charging cable. I didn't know what to do so I closed the lid and just before it was completely closed, I saw the screen had returned. I then opened the lid again and carried on. I used it for about 10 mins and then shut down and went out, leaving it on charge.

This has never happened before. Can anyone suggest what went wrong?
    Was I simply asking it to do too much so soon after plugging it in to charge? Maybe it needed 5 mins to itself before I began using power-hungry programs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I think resetting the SMC may potentially fix the problem.