MacBook Pro Retina + Boot Camp + Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yangw85, Jun 13, 2012.

1. yangw85 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Out of the lucky people who manage to get a MBP Retina, did anyone manage to install Windows 7 on it via Boot Camp? I am very interested in the status on this.

Last I heard, the boot camp driver was not available yet.

Thanks.

2. J400uk macrumors regular

I'd also be interested to hear, particularly with regards to what resolutions show in Windows.

3. s2smooth4u macrumors regular

I'm interested as well. I'm a architect/graphic designer and some of the products I use for architecture aren't supported by apple yet. It would be much easier to switch between the two rather than having two laptops.

4. yangw85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like no one has done it yet. Expected since Retina is still in such short supplies right now.

5. calmasacow macrumors newbie

Got mine late yesterday. The thing is awesome!. But when I run the boot cam assistant it always fails saying there is no windows support package on the update server. Any ideas? Was thinking about trying it with the download windows support unchecked. But to my knowledge that is the only way to get the boot cam installer these days.

6. eron macrumors 6502

7. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I am hoping by the time I get my new rMBP next week Apple will have updated Bootcamp for the new rMBP. I can't wait to start gaming on it!

Also, it might be wise to wait for someone to create a guide on how to create a windows partition on the new computer, since there seems to be quite a few issues pop up.

8. calmasacow macrumors newbie

yeah I have to do some work while on vacation and I have to do it in a windows only app. and it really needs to be native. I really hope this gets fixed quickly.

9. eron macrumors 6502

I do not think Windows 7 can be run on RMBP's bootcamp due to it being unable to process the resolution. Icons being pixelated badly, etc.

However, I think Parallels might be able to work with that in the available modes, either by scaling, or by displaying the true resolution in windows, like how videos show in Final Cut.

10. eron macrumors 6502

11. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

12. eron macrumors 6502

Thanks Nathan for the timely update.
    Parallels 7 said it will work atm, but picture won't be perfect. Update will be coming.
    http://kb.parallels.com/114110

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

How big of a partition do you need to run W7 comfortably? I've been thinking of loading it up on VMWare to run a few old legacy programs for work. All in extra storage needed on top of what the OS will need will be somewhere in the ball park of 10GB.

Would 30GB be enough space to allocate to run the VM with no problem? Want to try and preserve as much space as possible on that SSD.

14. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Depending on what you want to install, even 16-20 GB could be enough.
    The OS itself doesn't take up that much. I don't have my MBP at hand right now, but I think Windows 7 eats up around 8GB...

Just play around with it a bit and find the right size for your needs... if you make it too small, either resize it or simply delete the image and install again ( it's not as if it takes 5 hours to install ) until you get to the size you feel comfortable with.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

16. OSMac macrumors 65816

Nathan thanks for the Anandtech Windows / Retina link.

Seems windows actually handles the screen much better than OSX !

Unlike OSX, Windows offers the full panel resolution and then DPI scaling for the user interface ?

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Windows has had DPI scaling for a long time.

18. rpomygal macrumors newbie

19. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

I installed Windows 7 just fine.

But I cannot get the drivers as the servers have been down since the keynote, and apple is working on uploading the new drivers and getting them back on.

WIndows7 will work perfectly fine.....

20. richiez macrumors member

did you create a USB image or burn and use a USB superdrive?

after creating the USB image and using bootcamp assistant to partition the drive it reboots and says "no bootable device..."

21. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

I downloaded the Windows driver onto a flash drive, went into windows, and click setup. exe. It installed everything perfectly.

22. tdkalina macrumors newbie

I have been trying to download the Windows 7 Support Drivers for the last few days, with no success (for a new 15in MBP (not retina). It looks like it loads about 1/2 way, then stops, asks you to put a CD in to burn it, then it will not burn and essentially stops working. Apple support said they have not loaded the updated drivers to the server yet (I wish that message would come up instead of a stalled set-up). The guy told me to try after Monday night. I did install Windows, just waiting for the drivers now.