Macbook Pro Retina Brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iThink Apple, Oct 28, 2013.

1. iThink Apple macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Is it me or the Brightness on my new Macbook Pro Retina is not that bright....I fell like my 2012 Air was brighter.....

Thanks!

2. Macalway macrumors 68000

Not a big deal, but I must say, with this, your first impression might be accurate.

I thought that my 15" 2012 Retina was on the dim side compared to my 13" Retina (or my iPad, or any tablet for that matter)

But these new tablets are insanely bright, so this might be raising the bar for laptops now, as many of us use the tablets often

Brightness is so relative anyway. Half of the people turn them down, the other half up.

It's also a problem with side by side units, where it's perhaps best to turn down the brighter one so they match.

3. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I found it so bright I had to turn it down because it gave me a headache. But this is probably because I'm not used to it my 2009 MBP that this replaces was not this bright even on its highest setting.

5. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

From what I've read, the new Late 2013 models released last week have a noticeably brighter screen than the initial retina models released in June 2012.

6. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Thats what I heard too.....In general will an Air be Brighter then a Retina?

7. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

yes, tft is generally brighter...

but my 2012 retina is bright as hell (samsung screen) idk seems good enough I'm always putting the brightness down

8. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

How do I know if I have a Samsung screen?

9. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Macbook Pro Retina Brightness

Type this in Terminal

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^

Not sure if it works in 2013 models of the retina but it should

10. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

11. Trioptre macrumors newbie

"Slightly dim the display while on battery power"

I just exchanged my 15" rMBP i7 due to the trackpad being slightly tilted, but was suspicious that my initial rMBP had a different (LG) screen and was significantly brighter with better viewing angles. The new, Samsung display seemed slightly...disappointing. I was poking around in preferences, and under Energy Saver, there was the option to "Slightly dim the display while on battery power". I unchecked it and was impressed by the results. So if you were a bit disappointed in your Samsung screen, try changing that option. I am still slightly underwhelmed by the viewing angles though.

12. ktc macrumors newbie

I've always assumed that screens dim w/ age, and so when an earlier thread mentioned the new screens being brighter than the old (all else being equal), it would make sense.

However, with all this talk of customers returning their computers, doing long burn-in experiments and then getting multiple screens replaced, I can't help but think of what would happen to those "defective" screens:
    - Goes back to Apple manufacturing
    - Goes through testing, many of which would pass anyway as they did initially,
    - A certain % of them might have repairs or sent back to LG/Samsung, but few would be flat-out discarded.
    - Rest goes back onto a new MBPr.

So potentially we could be getting screens that aren't pristine and mint off the factory? Perhaps that's why there's so much variation in quality? :confused:

13. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

If what people are discovering in this thread is accurate, then there are screens from 2012 in the new late 13" macbook pros.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1662379&page=4

And there is also video proof of the new macbook pro having image retention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCPYJnsWbuo

Seems kind of hit and miss, so besides the video proof this could all be speculation.