Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reckonerr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
After upgrading to mountain lion I have an issue with the top bar.

The left side which includes the apple symbol and other options looks fine. However, On the right all the symbols and data on the bar are blurry. For example my name, spotlight, date/time, volume, wi-fi, bluetooth, ect.

What could cause this problem and how can I fix it?

Reckonerr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Here is a screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 8.13.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 8.13.06 PM.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 1,318

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Here is a screenshot

It actually looks like only the 3rd party app icons that are blurry. It could just be that they're not optimized for the retina display yet, in which case there's nothing you can do.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
It actually looks like only the 3rd party app icons that are blurry. It could just be that they're not optimized for the retina display yet, in which case there's nothing you can do.

Looks to me like even the WiFi, Battery, and Clock are pretty pixelated. Compare them to the text on the left side to see the difference.

To the thread starter, have you tried switching back and forth between resolution options in display preferences? This might force the menubar items to reload at high res.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
No, not normal. It's not only third-party icons which are pixelated, just look at the time/date text on the right (which is stock OS X) and compare it to the text on the left.

No idea how to fix it though.

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I bet one 3rd party menu bar icon is screwing them all up. Try removing all 3rd party apps. If that restores hi dpi then one by one add them back to find culprit.

ilyasishak

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
usually when you open up a non-retina apps in full screen, later when you quit the app, the desktop doesn't refreshed properly, causing the menu bar stuff (i.e.: date/clock/wifi icons etc). simple trick would be like what Stetrain advised - to switch between low resolution & retina resolution back & forth. this will force the menu bar to reload.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
After upgrading to mountain lion I have an issue with the top bar.

The left side which includes the apple symbol and other options looks fine. However, On the right all the symbols and data on the bar are blurry. For example my name, spotlight, date/time, volume, wi-fi, bluetooth, ect.

What could cause this problem and how can I fix it?

Have you found a solution? Getting the same issue. At first I thought it was just a problem with the Dropbox icon but it's now happening to time, wifi and even notification banners in the top right corner sometimes.

flyfisherbrad

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
I had the same issue on my Mac. I fixed it by going into the system preferences > Display and changing the resolution. Saving it. And then switching it back again.

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
I also have this issue. (I'm reporting to indicate it appears to be common.) I fixed it like flyfisherbrad: changing to another resolution and back. You don't even need to exit out of the resolution settings control panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.