Macbook Pro Retina Carbon Fiber Skin

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikster0029, Sep 2, 2012.

1. nikster0029 Contributor

nikster0029

Hey guys I have searched this forum and online a lot, but there aren't many people with truthful impressions of a carbon fiber skin for my new macbook pro retina.

I was wondering if anyone with any kind of skin review theirs or tell me there pro's vs. con's? Thanks

Also can you let me know what company like slickwraps or carbonskin?

I have been looking for a black skin with a red logo or a white skin with a black/red logo, but I haven't found any.

Also does anyone know about a company that does the sides because i think it isn't truely nice without the sides for the carbon skin so everything is covered.

Again, thanks.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I think they are cool and work for just day to day scratches. They offer no real protection against anything other than surface scratches. I have the white skin on my rmbp. I'll post pics soon.

Given its a vinyl/sticker for $30-$50 it's super over priced but you're not having to make the template and cut it with a plotter.

I got mine from icarbons.com and also found a coupon code doing a google search.

Mine came with a black and red apple to chose from, my brother got the black skin and he got a white and red apple. So they include both for with shipment.

3. nikster0029 thread starter Contributor

nikster0029

Hey do you still have that coupon code?

Also does it come with the sides because I think it would look much better

4. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I had iCarbon skin on my 2011 macbook Air until I sold it.
    I've already bought the iCarbon skin for my coming retina Macbook Pro. It's still in transit via Fedex so I can't install it yet. I only got the carbon skin for the Back+Bottom of my MBP because I don't like to put the inside and side skins.

ICarbon have great quality skins and fits real well too. When I pealed off the Macbook Air skin before I sold it, my MBA basically looks brand new under the protection of the iCarbon carbon fiber skin.

I'd highly recommend them for carbon fiber or other skins for your Apple products. Oh, and they do give you a white and red logo for the retina MBP in the same package.

Link here for the retina MBP icarbon skin: http://www.icarbons.com/collections/featured/products/macbook-pro-15-retina-black-carbon-fiber

5. nikster0029, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

nikster0029 thread starter Contributor

nikster0029

Hey thanks for the reply. Where is the option for the sides?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I only got the back and bottom too, as I found the keyboard section unattractive.

Coupon code is: WWFREE

It gave me free priority shipping which was a big savings actually.

7. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I've got myself a black carbon fiber kit from iCarbon. I picked up the back and bottom kit myself. Just waiting for my Retina MacBook to come in so I can install it!

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Here is mine, I had the black CF on my 2011 15" MBP, so I decided to go with white the time around and Im glad I did, I actually like it a lot more.

Attached Files:

9. nikster0029 thread starter Contributor

nikster0029

Very cool!!

10. iDerp macrumors newbie

I never had a skin on a mbp, but this thing looks crazy good. Any heat issues with such a skin?

11. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

I bought a brushed aluminum skin for the bottom of my rMBP...just for piece of mind when I move it from desk to desk so I don't scratch the heck out of it. The feet are way too far apart and crap can get under it. So we'll see how it turns out but from the pictures on the web I've seen, you can hardly tell it's there and since it's on the bottom, you really won't be able to notice it.

12. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Did you buy yours from iCarbon?

13. soundtracker macrumors member

This code from their FB page is even better for iCarbons.com but it ends today: 25% off, code is LABOR25

14. Oofie macrumors regular

Thanks, just ordered a set!

15. soundtracker macrumors member

Sure thing :)

16. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Ordered a black back and bottom aswell about 2 weeks ago, Still waiting to be shipped from Miami FL :(

17. MRamirez181 macrumors newbie

I am going to be getting my first macbook next Monday and I was looking at getting a speck case, but after seeing these designs I might get one of these. The only question I have is, when you decide to take the skin off your computer does the sticky residue stay on the laptop or does it come off nicely.

18. Mabyboi, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  19. shelhed217 macrumors member

That is so sharp looking, I ordered the black to use until I can find a case i like better. Thanks for the pics

20. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I like both looks! I think the black might be better just for the elegant look

21. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

22. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

No problem guys, let me know if I can be of more help with pics and such

23. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Although this is on my Air, it shows what the black iCarbon skin looks like with the red apple insert. The insert is cut slightly smaller than the hole in the skin so a thin outline of light shows through.

Attached Files:

24. evilpaddy macrumors regular

I have the same setup although couldn't get the apple logo as central as that! must have taken quite a few goes!

25. kimmacpro macrumors newbie

Hello, where did you purchase the black smaller apple insert? I have looked everywhere and can't find it!!

Thank you,
    Kim