Macbook Pro Retina Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elevon, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Elevon macrumors regular

I've recently upgraded to the rMBP and need a case to help protect it.
    Use to own a black Speck soft touch case and loved it, so I want to use the same.
    But I heard their rMBP version breaks very easily especially at the bottom corners, so I'm wondering if you guys know of a different brand case I can maybe look into.
    Many Thanks :D

2. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

A case really isn't needed. Just get a nice sleeve for when you are carting it around from place to place. Hard shells tend to leave marks where they clip on and can scratch the heck out of your laptop if and when some grit manages to get inbetween the laptop and the shell.

I had a Black Satin Speck hardshell for my late 2008 unibody macbook, and it did nothing to stop it from getting a dent in the front edge when my bag was knocked off my shoulder in a crowded bus.

I use a Snugg "leather" sleeve for my rMBP and I love it. Keeps the laptop nice and secure and the thick sewing edge of the sleeve provides way better in bag drop protection then the shell would. Soft is generally better than hard for impact resistance.

Cheers.

3. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I agree with the above poster - a case isn't really necessary - why cover up the beautiful design with a cover, when a sleeve will protect it during transportation/storage? Unless you anticipate your rMBP potentially being damaged/scratched during use, a case really isn't necessary. But if a case floats your boat, go for it. :)

As for case suggestions, have a look at the sticky thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1391592

4. Elevon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, but i personally still prefer a case. Any suggestions?

5. jaymc, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I use an iPearl mCover. It's very good and even has legs at the back to prop the rMBP up at a steeper angle in case you need it.

7. Desertf0x9 macrumors newbie

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I love Speck Clear thru hard case I have gone with 2 with no problems. I would recommend hard case of any brand when you are traveling or take it with you anywhere because I remember walking thru the turnstiles at the subway gate alway abusing my rMBP inside the messenger. :apple:

9. case2001 macrumors 6502

+1. I also have one for my Air. Great.

10. johnnylarue, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I've been using this one for 8 months and have zero complaints:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VATUKA-Appl...US_Laptop_Cases_Bags&var=&hash=item2a358d8aea

(They come in a 15" version as well, but appear to be sold out at the moment.)

You can use it as a regular sleeve, but it has corner harnesses to keep it on your MacBook when you're in more precarious situations. (I use mine on stage in crappy rock clubs, for example.)

Very well ventilated, light-weight, good amount of protection and shock absorption, and it comes off in literally 2 seconds.

It's not the sexiest thing out there, but it definitely does the trick.

11. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

loving the Thule Gauntlet I got

Friend has a colcasac which is also very nice