MacBook Pro Retina - Color Accuracy Debate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by photosaurus, Jun 26, 2012.

1. photosaurus macrumors regular

There's a lot of conflicting information flying around the internet on the color accuracy of the new rMBP. Let's get to the bottom of it, shall we?

To start, everyone should watch this video and read this article.

Now, according to this guy, the retina covers 99% of sRGB, where as the older macbook screens only cover 71%.

However... according to AnandTech, the Retina covers 67.3% of Adobe RGB versus 74.7% for the old macbook.

Now, it's quite possible that the old mbp's cover more of the Adobe, and less of the s than Retina. But all this info is sending mixed signals to say the least.

For most of us, Adobe RGB doesn't matter... sRGB does. And if it does matter, you're going to want a much more expensive display than any laptop has built in.

2. CDTobie macrumors newbie

>>Now, according to this guy, the retina covers 99% of sRGB, where as the older macbook screens only cover 71%.

>>However... according to AnandTech, the Retina covers 67.3% of Adobe RGB versus 74.7% for the old macbook.

The conflict here comes from the "older MPBs" involved not being of the same generation. The colorspace had increased between the earlier Unibody MBP that I compare with, versus the most recent pre-Retina MBP that the other article references. My numbers are correct, but my description of the MBPs involved was insufficient.

CDTobie

3. photosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the clarification, CDTobie! Excellent Blog, by the way.

So, as for sRGB coverage, both the non-retina and retina displays for 2012 MBP's are likely equivalent and near as good as it gets for sRGB. (unless you factor in viewing angles, then the retina is hands down better)