MacBook Pro Retina Configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LadyX, Jul 20, 2013.

1. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I'm thinking of getting a 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, in the configuration step of the Apple Online Store, I get to configure my Macbook before making the purchase, under 'Memory' (RAM) it says "Every MacBook Pro with Retina display comes with 8GB of 1600MHz memory. Please note that the memory is built into the computer, so if you think you may need more memory in the future, it is important to upgrade (16GB) at the time of purchase." I'm aware that the RAM cannot be upgraded as it's soldered onto the logic board.

But what got me confused is what it says under 'Storage' which is "Your MacBook Pro comes standard with 256GB or 512GB of flash storage. Please note that the flash storage is built into the computer, so if you think you may need more storage capacity in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase." I know that the flash storage can be upgraded but why does Apple say that it can't?

Keyboard and Documentation; I want an English and Arabic Keyboard (I'm ordering from Apple UAE).

I'm confused as to which one I should choose to get both.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ram is soldered onto the logic board it cannot be physically changed.

The SSD is not considered a user replaceable component so they state that you need to choose now since they don't sell upgrade kits or perform SSD upgrades.

You can do the upgrade yourself if you wish to open up the laptop and get one of those SSD upgrades from OWC.

3. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

The SSD is the 256GB Storage, right?

Do you have any idea about the keyboard?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct unless you opt for the SSD 512GB upgrade which is pricey.

No idea as I'm in the US and only deal with a single keyboard.

5. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

No, I'm not thinking of going for the 512GB. I have an 11" MBA with only 128GB of storage and I still have 38GB of free storage left. But that's because I usually keep deleting stuff I don't use when I see that it's almost full. I can always upgrade later if I need the extra storage.

Oh okay. What do I choose if I want only an English keyboard.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would think either the US or the international english keyboards or am I misunderstanding something

7. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Do you know if there's an Arabic language input in the MacBook Pro?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry, I have no idea as English is my only language

9. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

You can but the upgrade options are VERY limited (OWC) and are just as pricey and their drives use Sandforce controllers - which are arguably inferior to the Apple OEM drives.

>

10. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

This is 100% correct. Great answer.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

This. You can certainly upgrade the SSD, but the SSDs Apple provides are better and it would also be more pricey to upgrade on your own later on.

12. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

13. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

The 512 GB SSD is plenty for most people. If gives you a good amount of comfortable space to work with, but if you need more space, you also can simply attach external hard drives via thunderbolt or usb 3 and be just as fine.

14. richorlin macrumors regular

RE: Arabic keyboard

Go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Input sources and tick the Arabic - Qwerty check box. You get a choice of input on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

15. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

My MBA's storage is very limited, a Western Digital 1TB hard drive is always attached to it. So, yes that's a great way for adding more space.

Yes I know about that, I just wanted to know if Arabic can be chosen for the input if the keyboard doesn't have Arabic letters.