Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPlayFair

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Interesting article in Computerworld here.

On the one hand it appears one can expect just about 2.5 years use of the MBPR before the battery needs to be replaced. This could be an issue for some. On the other hand, for a high-end laptop like the MBPR and all of its benefits, it is worth the cost of $200 to replace the battery when needed or just get rid of the computer and replace it with an updated model. I suppose if the MBPR is a working computer, it is worth the cost. Will this be an issue for any of you?

Of course if the battery becomes an issue one could always run the MBPR on electrical power.

28Fiend

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Interesting article in Computerworld here.

On the one hand it appears one can expect just about 2.5 years use of the MBPR before the battery needs to be replaced. This could be an issue for some. On the other hand, for a high-end laptop like the MBPR and all of its benefits, it is worth the cost of $200 to replace the battery when needed or just get rid of the computer and replace it with an updated model. I suppose if the MBPR is a working computer, it is worth the cost. Will this be an issue for any of you?

Of course if the battery becomes an issue one could always run the MBPR on electrical power.

Personally I don't think it would be a problem for most who see the benefit of the clarity the retina provides. Kind of a price to pay in the since you get a better picture and less battery life. Though time will tell, I ran my old Powerbook into the ground and the battery lasted awhile before I couldn't stand having to run off the wall to do anything.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

I'd be surprised if over 5-10% of Apple portable users ever replace their built-in battery anyways. For most people it's just not that big of a deal. When the battery starts to get noticeably weaker it's usually time for a new machine.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, $200 is less then servicing a car. On the other hand, the battery in my MBP is still well over 85% after 700 loadcycles and 2.5 years continuous usage (and no, I don't pay any special care to my battery). Chances are, you could use the MBP for 5 years without having to replace the battery.

joshef

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
USA
the 15in version of the MacBook Pro released at the same time got itself a major overhaul, sporting a slimmer, lighter design and becoming the first Mac to sport an eyeball-gasmic Retina display. It was clearly only a matter of time before the 13in model got the Retina treatment too. Indeed, the new 13in MacBook Pro With Retina Display finally delivers the upgrade that we should have got five months ago – along with yet another hefty price increase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.