Macbook Pro Retina Craziness

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charlaux, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Charlaux macrumors member

Hi,
    I am in New York and called Apple Store 5th avenue today with the hopes of finding a macbook retina.It will be roughly a 25 day trip and I want to buy it as soon as I can.I was wondering when It will turn the way that I dont need to ask If there is anything left at the store,or will It be like a race for 20 days ?

2. nastebu macrumors 6502

You're wondering how long it will be before you can just walk into an Apple Store and pick up a retina MacBook Pro without worrying whether it will be in stock?

People can guess, but nobody can answer this, probably not even Apple's own supply people. It surely depends on how steady the demand is and how efficient the supply chain is, which isn't really knowable. Particularly with a brand new product like this, where a lot of the parts are custom built I imagine a lot of things can go wrong to slow down production. To me it seems likely that the shortages will last for months, not weeks.

Still, the Fifth Avenue store is considered a flagship location and so they will be trying to keep that store in stock, even if smaller stores run out.

3. Charlaux thread starter macrumors member

So do you think I would be able to get in ? Aldo I guess that was baumaster who told me that If I talk with the store manager and say that I do have a limited time would they help me,I mean in the 5th avenue ? I'll not be able to call them everday so what would be your suggestion for me to catch a one,I mostly can go after 12:30 weekdays and saturdays and 8 for Sunday

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Can you make a reservation at the street store? If you can't, why do not you order one through the Online Store? It may arrive earlier than their predicted delivery date.

If you eventually get one at the street store, you can then cancel your online order. This way, you may have a good chance to get your rMBP as early as possible.

5. Charlaux thread starter macrumors member

My billing adress is not from USA so here is the problem :(

6. Critterbug macrumors member

Critterbug

Billing address is for billing. Shipping address would determine at least some of the time of delivery, I would imagine.

7. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Billing and shipping addresses can be different, very different. For example, your billing address can be in Germany and your shipping address can be in US.

8. Charlaux thread starter macrumors member

That is what the Apple contact said and to be honest shipping is not a option that I prefer.

9. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Hmm....

Well I know Newegg has some in stock on July 3 but ran out very shortly. Did you try MacMall? I think eBay has a ton too....but you could also try Craigslist right? I mean someone is bound to have purchased one brand new (with discount or something) and does't want it. Just consider your options, after all NY is big their is bound to be a store somewhere in town that has the computer in stock. Personally I ordered my RMBP off Newegg though, but whatever you decide please post back here.

Thank you,

Thomas

10. Charlaux thread starter macrumors member

So basicly I want to buy base model and newegg doesnt have to be them in stock If they do have in stock I would sure buy it but I dont know when should I check again.I really do want to buy this laptop and they do have in Connecticut but I will go this Thursday or next thursday so (New Haven) I am so stressed about not getting a one.After convincing my parents which I do want to have a macbook for 7 years I dont want to leave without a retina.