MacBook Pro Retina Dead Pixel Theory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeov, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

So, as you might have read from the title, this is just my theory, i have no knowledge or anything in this matter.. this is simply a thought i had the other day.

So, start of this week i found yet another dead pixel, after having a panel changed later this year.. it's with anger and frustration they keep appearing like ants on a picnic. I think this is the most dead-pixel-ish screen i've ever encountered on any computer, actually this is my first encounter with dead pixels ever. Sure, blaim the twice as many pixels, but even if we half the amount of dead pixels, i still think it outweighs anything seen in other generations macbook pro.

Now, the guestion is: why? and heres what i think:

Apple removed the glass panel from the MacBook Retina (right?) to decrease the glare and having a thinner panel all-around (i'm not 100% certain this is true, but i do remember something changed with the screen other than the bigger resolution)

The dead pixel i got the other day wasn't one pixel, but rather a small group of say 4-5 dead ones, all shining bright, i tried touching / scrathing it with a nail and i could feel this little "dent" in the screen, and it seemed to me that the dead pixel must have been from a corn of sand or whatever from when i travel from home to school every day?

Could the dead pixels be a "fault" (notice: "fault") from Apple in terms of removing the glass and making the screen more vulnerable for sand and dust getting in between and ruining the screen?

and yes, i know it is my fault for not checking every inch of the computer before closing down, but this has never been an issue for me before but now.. and being a student traveling several kilometers all over town, i can't do a full round-up check on my laptop before closing it down to take the bus / train whatever.

2. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

I think you've got it spot on.
    I've got a cluster of dead pixels all of a sudden and on closer inspection I actually saw that there's physical damage to the screen, about the size of a grain of sand.
    I had one of these previously, but it was on the bezel so not visible damage on the LCD, not so lucky this time though.
    I'm going to see the Genius Bar on Friday and as I'm still within warranty and also have ghosting on my LG screen I hope they'll replace the screen for me.
    Once that's happened I'd like to find a way to protect the screen. I wonder if I could apply a screen protector film to have this kind of thing not happen again.
    Just goes to show that the screen is way too vulnerable, as beautiful as it (and the whole machine) is.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

4. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

This might well be the case in some cases, in my case it is an indentation, and I strongly suspect that sand is to blame.

5. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Just got my MacBook Pro Retina back from the Genius Bar after they replaced the screen for ghosting. Get it home, found a bright red pixel!

Back to the store I go! How they missed that I'll never know! Unreal!

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Because they were checking for ghosting or just didn't notice. I have a stuck blue pixel in the middle of my Macbook screen that I hardly notice in daily use...

7. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

I'm bummed to find that my brand new rMBP which arrived today came with a dead (bright white) pixel. I can not believe that it got through quality assurance checks!

It wasn't noticeable on the desktop and at first I thought it was a piece of the soft screen protector that comes in the packaging but on a black screen it is ridiculously obvious.

The most frustrating thing is I've already installed a bunch of software that will now have to be re-installed once I get a replacement from apple. It may be "the best screen on the market" visually but a fair few seem to have pixel issues.

8. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

Excellent. Looks like I'm going to buy a dead thin screen film right after you open the computer