Macbook Pro Retina designed to fail

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lankox, Nov 19, 2012.

1. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

http://www.ifixit.com/Services

Weins isn't doing this in some altruistic manner. He's in this biz to make money just like everyone else and that "colors" his opinion to me.

His complaint is more of an existential one. If computers become less modifiable he has less to work with. Retina aren't designed to fail they are designed to be more like appliances that aren't upgraded which is antithetical to Weins business.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Designed to fail? I can't agree with that, even as someone who returned a 13" rMBP.

It IS designed to become obsolete and require replacement. The sealed design means you can't install new RAM or storage when needed. We saw this coming with the introduction of the Air - pretty soon even Mac Pros won't be user-upgradable at all.

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Hmmm.

Basically, the main reason they say it's designed to fail is because you can't replace the battery yourself. They say it's too complicated and long to ship your rMBP to Apple, as if that will discourage people from changing their battery and just throw away the computer after 2-3 years.

They also completely omit to mention you can simply drop and pick up your rMBP at an Apple store for battery replacement and that it takes days instead of weeks.

I can see how having to have Apple replace your battery after 2-3 years is less convenient than doing it yourself, but saying the computer is "designed to fail" as if battery degradation was a failure and as if you couldn't replace it and had to throw the whole computer a way is very extreme.

Seeing how little sense that makes it's hard to believe they aren't biased since they offer repair services.

4. vpro, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Perhaps perhaps perhaps

Perhaps you already know of the phrase: Planned obsolescence.

If Apple are such great designers and innovators - why not use all that talent towards making something even more user upgradeable and easily serviceable as well, therefore passing on the longevity, prosperity and savings to their loyal consumers who would die to buy another Apple gizmo!

Load and behold - Apple is a money hungry giant and will never relax his appetite for world domination, therefore we will all pay premium for something that ultimately owns us in the end.

Thank you.

5. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Computers are not everlasting gobstoppers. They have components that age and 'wear out'. As consumers demand thinner, lighter mobile devices, trade offs have to be made to give them/us that product. That usually means that components become smaller and become tightly integrated, particularly components that have previously been considered as 'impossible' or difficult to improve upon.

Besides all this, what is so wrong with batteries that only last two to three years? Most people I've met have upgraded hardware after that period anyway.

6. vladster macrumors member

I think retina screen by itself is going to win. I wouldn't buy it for myself yet though. In a year or two there will be more application compatibility and hardware issues resolved, reasonable pricing. Then it'll be time to buy.

Upgrade-ability is different question. I got basic MBP "13 2012 4GB and upgraded to 16GB for ~$70. Apple would upgrade me to 8GB only and at slightly different cost. I do not restrict myself in using the battery as I know I can replace it. I can go SSD if I want...

Not sure why this convenience should be taken away from me.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If indeed Apple starts to glue their batteries as to make it completely user un-serviceable, that's a big ticket item for me as far as total cost of ownership.

8. Archon macrumors member

This is an over exaggerated article.

The rMBP battery is not user replaceable but you can send it to Apple or bring it to the Apple store and they have the ability to replace it.

9. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

That you'll have to pay $200 in about 2-3 years in order to get another 2-3 years of battery life? It's a reasonable cost IMO.

Batteries wear out with every laptop, and in every case it's always best to get a first-party battery. A dodgy battery from some Chinese unknown could do a lot of damage - including exploding if it has a failing thermal control or other defect.

Besides, given the numbers of laptops, and the apparent difficulty in removing the battery from the case that makes the repair necessary, Apple are going to probably have to give you a whole new bottom case. Let's assume they won't have infinite stocks of these, so you could end up with an upgrade.

10. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

rMBPs aren't designed to fail!!! That's a too strongly worded opinion. But they are made to be obsolete a little quicker and more harder/expensive to upgrade.

That's why I like the previous cMBP 'upgrade-friendly' design better. I like to be able to source parts myself (cheaper w/o the 'Apple' tax), so I agree w/ folks who said that all these custom parts and glued battery on rMBPs screws up the TCO.

My own recent experience: I don't really have a need for rMBP, so I went with cMBP: base model ($1,012; a reoccurring Amazon.com deal); replaced RAM to 16GB (+$95), replaced HDD with SSD (+$190). That's a little under $1,300. Apple wants for a comparable config $1,799!!!

You tell me if the $500 is worth it, or not, to you... I definitely prefer at least to be able to replace 'basic' components, like RAM and HDDs myself, rather than overpay;) YMMV

11. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I agree completely. Apple make some amazing laptops and the batteries last pretty well during those 2-3 years, (honestly longer). To have it replaced by an official store for that price is justified considering how long these computers last.

12. roxnadz macrumors regular

How soon we forget that we used to be able to do this ourselves for a little under $130...

13. Haifisch macrumors regular

My late 2010 Air's battery is 93% of its original capacity, according to Coconut Battery. So if the retina's battery can last 4 years and cost me $200 to replace, it won't bother me one bit.

14. calderone, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Is this article a joke?

I am honestly getting a little sick of iFixit. They are trying to stay relevant as consumer devices move more toward the 'black box' model (whether good or bad). I understand their position, but they are being a little childish and alarmist in their efforts.

My point is, they really aren't making a GOOD case as to why this lack of repairability is a problem.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

So says the guy that has a audio interface that cost more than base 13" MBP. ;)

Not enough people really upgrade their computers to warrant the added weight and thickness is my guess.

16. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

iFix It guys message in plain English: "They are designed to not be user serviceable, which is a bad thing for me."

On a side note, isn't the 1000 cycles a rating before the battery starts losing a noticeable charge life? Wouldn't it be twice as many before the average battery life gets down to around 4 on HD 4000?

17. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Girls also like technology and are real savvy too...

Anyways...

I guess there is less for iSlave workers all over the world if these iGadgets are made thinner and lighter, less to sand, less explosions due to aluminum dust clogging poor vents and less suicides perhaps?

----------

The article is revealing and tells the truth, it empowers the consumer in an educational way, there is no selfish reason what so ever, he runs a decent and helpful business.

Thank you.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Of course it is. Apple's a company. Companies are all about dollars and cents ;)

19. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Remember the white/black MacBooks? People would replace their battery once or twice within it's lifetime! People still come in buying a new one. These are tough little machines. Anyways, they fork down €129 every time.

So, €200,- is not bad after 3 years.

I have my rMBP since early August (4 months) and 27 cycles on the battery..:cool: 100% health.

I do not agree with this article as becoming obsolete does not mean the product is failing. It will simply work just fine after 3 years.

I tend to sell some macs and keep some. My Black MacBook works flawlessly with 300 cycles (100% health) and 4GB and 120GB SSD. Yes. upgraded. But it works superb (age 6 years!). So does my '07 20" iMac (4GB /120GB SSD).

The rMBP already has 8GB or 16GB of RAM and (in my case 512GB) SSD, so there's no need to upgrade this down the line. The SSD is upgrade anyways (OWC)

I do recommended buying AppleCare though!

20. Haifisch macrumors regular

21. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Tech is coming to the point where we cannot/will not be able to service ourselves. Just like phones.

22. Liquinn Suspended

Hmm... will only be a matter of time, as they have generated the appeal , when you want the new OS? buy a new iMac/phone/pad etc - as your current kit won't be able to use it.

This is probably Apple's way of making AppleCare an almost compulsory purchase for its Mac buyers. The problem arises when you're out of warranty and your RAM goes bad (which does happen). For any other laptop, you can buy replacement RAM for peanuts and be on your way. If the RAM goes bad in this, you're probably looking at hundreds for a replacement motherboard plus labour costs.

23. katmeef macrumors 6502

I didn't get applecare, my credit card adds a year (covering accidental damage and loss as well as failures) on top of the standard warranty. If it fails after that time I'm sure there will be motherboards on eBay pretty cheap. I'll have long since upgraded by then anyways and it will likely be the problem of whoever has the rmbp...