MacBook Pro Retina Display 15 inch YouTube problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tob866622, Mar 23, 2013.

1. tob866622 macrumors member

Hi

I recently got my MacBook Pro retina display about 2 weeks ago. I had a problem when I'm playing YouTube in 720 or 1080p full screen it lags. You will be able to tell the differences when you look at the screen. So I decided to take it to apple store to check the hardware. They decided to replace my logic board it took a couple of days. When I came back to take the machine back they told me to re-check the computer so I opened up the machine and try playing YouTube again it still lags. Have anyone of you got any ideas of why this keeps happening even after replacing the logic board and reinstalling the os. Using the computer normally nothing happens it runs smoothly playing games on windows 8 runs smoothly. But I'm just concerned since it's not a cheap machine.

Thanks in advance

2. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Have you reset the SMC stuff? Also, have you reset NVRAM and PRAM? There are guide on how to do that all over the Web. Also make sure that you have all firmware and other such updates installed when you reinstall the OS.

3. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

i do not think the youtube player are good on the rMBP, i watch my youtube in html5 and it do have some troubles doing full screen.
    Normal playing not a problem

4. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Also something I just was thinking of: be sure you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player plug-in installed. It should prompt you to install the latest after you reinstall the OS, but if it doesn't just manually download the installer and let 'er rip!. lol

5. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

To fix this problem just disable the GPU auto-switch. it will use the NVIDIA chip and it will be great with HD videos.

6. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Interesting fix.. I really hope Apple fixes that... I want an rMBP sometime in the next 3 or so months....

7. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

My guess is it's just because YouTube's player is a load of crap.

I don't even have Flash installed on my rMBP, and I use this Safari extension to play YouTube videos instead:

http://www.verticalforest.com/youtube5-extension/

It works flawlessly for me.

8. tob866622 thread starter macrumors member

Not yet I will take a look at it when I get the computer back

----------

Yes the same goes for me normal screen is ok running smoothly but when I press fullscreen it lags like crazy.

----------

I actually use google chrome and safari and both of them are installed with the newest flash player.

----------

I tried that no differences at all. I don't understand it too, I tried downloading Google Chrome on the demo machine in the store and tired running it, it runs fine with Safari and Google Chrome.

9. john500y2k, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

john500y2k macrumors member

Hey tob866622 I had the exact same problem but managed to resolve it.

I use chrome and not safari at all. When I did a fresh install with just chrome it did the lag when in fullscreen that you too are experiencing. Then I tried downloading flash directly from the adobe site and that made no difference.

After some Googleing I found out that you must disable the built in chrome flash player for the directly downloaded adobe one to work.

To do this in web address bar go to:

chrome://plugins

Click details near the top right of the page. Look for Adobe flash player and disable the one with the location Google.Chrome.app

Once I did this, reloaded Chrome and went to youtube and was thrilled to have fullscreen HD with no lag at all. Even noticed that when I clicked the fullscreen button it would be instant with no flicker as before.

I also have automatic graphic switching enabled and no problems with that either.

On an additional note I was round a friends today and he has a windows PC and had the same issue. The above also addressed his issue.

Hope it works for you.

10. B... macrumors 68000

B...

BTW...doing that lowers battery life substantially and heats the computer up a lot.

11. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I'm curious, do you use Chrome? Because they use a Flash plug-in with their browser. It's best to disable it and use the one you download yourself.

You disable it by going into chrome://plugins

I had the same problem on mine, but then I disabled it and all is good.

----------

This works. Typed my response up before reading the thread :)

12. tob866622 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'll try it when I get the rMBP so apple replaced my logic board for no reason lol

13. kvnfo macrumors member

14. nednarm macrumors 6502

Thank you sir! This worked an absolute treat.

15. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

16. tob866622 thread starter macrumors member

So after wasting about 1 week apple decided to change my macbook pro retina from 2.4 ghz to the top model!

17. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't play well with webkit? :/

18. trombo22 macrumors member

Just to add, I have the 15" 2.6 with 10.8.3 and all up to date(including flash). I use the click to flash extension which auto converts to html5 if it can. I watch I also watch videos on the highest quality available with 1080p frequently. I have graphics switching on and have great performance while watching 1080p.

I included a screen shot of istat menu while playing 2 1080p videos on youtube. There is one 1080p on main monitor and another on an external monitor with various other things open. So the retina 15" with current software is capable without any adjustments to the os.

Attached Files:

19. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

And this is the reason I love to buy Apple products. Their customer support is top notch, and will compensate you for time wasted with things like upgrades. Just got my retina 15" base model about a week ago, and it is flawless so far. 