MacBook Pro Retina Display issue (gradient tint on left corner) anyone else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPaintCode, Jun 24, 2012.

1. iPaintCode, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

I bought mine at a local Apple store and when I got home after about an hour of setting up and use I noticed that some webpages had this slight dirtiness to the left mid to bottom tint. I'm debating going back to the Apple store for a genius bar visit but I'm afraid they will snuff it off as fine. It's not quit as yellow after leaving the montior on all night but it's 100% dimmer, and it sticks out now like a sore thumb.

Here is an image of it with a 50% grey and the post I made on Apple Discussions forums, you can see the discoloration on the left starting from midway and going down to the bottom of the display. When I was writing this post the bottom of the browser almost looks like Apple put a Horizontal gradient from left to right across the background of the site. So **** annoying... I will probably just return it the only issue is I paid cash (10 day wait), though I wonder if they'd let me get a gift card so I an just order from the online store (less hassle with dealing with people in person incase there is same issue with screen on a new one).

I'm very aware early adopting is like playing the lottery and there is going to be slight defects but still very annoying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teeejay macrumors regular

There is undoubtedly some kind of defect, if I were you, I would take it back to Apple.

3. iPaintCode thread starter macrumors regular

iPaintCode

Just got off the phone with the brick and mortar store, they have no replacements and said since they're in high demand they would have to send it out (I wasn't able to get my agency discount of 8% either due to demand). So I'm going to return and get 2 Apple Gift Cards (since I paid in cash from selling my 2011 Macbook Pro) and buy from the online store. With my work discount I can get the 16gb upgrade basically for extra 15 bucks - will have to wait out the BTO times...

My only issue is if others have had this same problem with the dim (very slight yellowish) gradient tint issue on one of the corners. The most annoying part is, once you used a Retina display for a few days there is absolutely NO way of going back to a non Retina :mad:

4. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I hope they don't try to tell you it is "within spec".

5. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

The fact u cant get CASH back in the US is a disgrace

6. Davieis macrumors regular

same issue as mine. waiting on a replacement.

and your absolutely right, all screens that aren't retina look terrible now. Even the Airs!