Macbook Pro Retina Display shuts down on low battery without warning Mac/W7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fincherman, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Fincherman macrumors newbie

I have a macbook Pro with Retina Display and is obviously fairly new since they were only released 6-7 months ago. I am a very cautious person when it comes to not overcharging the battery and trying to preserve the overall life of the battery. Over the past week or so I've experienced that when my battery reaches roughly 15-20%, the screen turns black and simply shuts down or goes to sleep. There are 0 warnings, notifications saying that I'm low on battery and that I should find a power source. 0 warnings and just turns off.

I also have installed a windows 7 ultimate 64bit partition using bootcamp and I'm experiencing the same thing. Although the battery reaches 0%, and 100% of the time shuts down without any notice. On windows 7 it usually has a notice/warning that you are low on battery followed by a notice saying you are running on critical battery then hibernates on it's own. Now there are no notifications and shuts down on it's own.

I've researched this time and time again looking for different solutions but none have worked so far. I've changed the settings on both operating systems and nothing has worked so far.

could it be a hardware battery problem, power adapter charging problem, operating system problem? I'm truly confused.

Also, if it is a hardware problem, will Apple Care cover it?

2. Erasmus, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

A possible problem is that one or two cells of your battery have died, and so the battery doesn't store as much power as it should. The best solution would be to take it to an Apple genius, and get them to diagnose it. If the battery is faulty, they will replace it free.

When you say it shuts down, does it switch off, or does it hibernate? The difference being hibernating should save what's in memory, where as switching off loses everything in memory that you haven't saved to "disk", and probably results in an error message when you next start it up.

My old Core 2 Duo MBP had the battery partially fail, which caused it to switch off once the battery charge ran down to ~40%. As it was just switching off, instead of going to sleep (as it should), meant that battery calibration never happened, so the computer never compensated for the loss of capacity.

3. Fincherman thread starter macrumors newbie

When I'm running on my Mac OS, it seems to go to sleep and run out at about 18%, when I'm running on Windows 7 OS, the screen fades out to black and shuts down. I know it shuts down because when I turn it on, it does what it does when you hold the power button, it gives you the option to "Start Windows Normally" or 'Safe Mode' etc. The strange thing is that on mac OS it seems to die at about 18% where as on Windows OS after I turn the laptop back on, the battery icon on the system tray says 0% charging.