MacBook Pro Retina Display Went Out ):

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tiffanydujoie, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Tiffanydujoie macrumors newbie

Okay, I've never posted in a forum before so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

My 2013 MacBook Pro Retina's display has gone out. I'm pretty sure it was my fault. :/
    I was carrying it and had my iPhone sandwiched between the keyboard and the screen and accidentally pushed too hard and heard and then....it went black when I went to turn the display back on. ): At first it was just black then it was all vertical white moving lines. The actual screen itself isn't broken or dented in at all, it's just internal. My question is, does anyone have any idea how much it would be to have this fixed? :/

2. jeremysteele, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Unfortunately screens are one of the most (usually the most) expensive part of a laptop.

Didn't say what size - but macfixit had screens valued at over $750. 13" and 15"

Could probably get slightly cheaper parts on craigslist/ebay. No idea how much a shop would charge, but expect a few hours labor at least on top of parts if you go that route.

----

That's assuming its the screen internals that were broken and not (somehow) the logic board.

-----

If you paid with a CC, maybe check if you're one of the lucky ones with free accidental coverage for a few years. I know some Amex cards have that.

For future reference - even though it does cost extra $$ - it is a good idea to get protection for expensive laptops (like squaretrade) that cover accidental damage. I don't bother on warranties for anything except phones/laptops... just because they are (statistically) more likely to suffer damage.

3. Tiffanydujoie thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh oops! It's 15". And wowwwww I really wasn't expecting it to be that pricey. Ugh. Thanks for your reply. :)