Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J3ffry

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
As a MacBook Pro Retina user since september, my experience with this machine wasn't to good.

I've been trough 3 screen replacements, and after that 3 replacements units. All suffering from different screen inconsistencies.

On all this computers I have noticed differences. Not only between LG & Samsung, but also alot between same manufacturer screens.

Above that, also there are computer differences. One computer maked a crackling sound when I grabbed it at one corner, other ones didn't. Also volume of speakers, trackpad clickability, and sponginess of the keyboard varies.

Not to mention things like start-up / shuttingdown times.

All these things formed my opinion of the Retina MacBook seems to be some prototype computer thingy Apple rushed to the market.

You really have to be lucky to receive a machine that functions the way Apple meant it to be. Or better said, receiving one that functions just like your neighbors'. Because if you don't compare you won't no better.

This from my viewpoint lack of consistency in quality made me re-evaluate the MacBook Pro Retina as a computer design.

Where 3/4 year later on now, almost approaching a new cycle.

I'm wondering what your views on the durability of the MBPr are. Should it deserve the same status of the uniform MBP? A robust machine that handles everything, and is a solid trustworthy partner in your day to day digital needs. That stays working like the first day you bought it and got the feeling it will like forever?

Or do you thing Apple failed us at this one? Do you hope your Mac will be there for you in five years, scared that the screen probably already cracked by then due to the new fancy minus 1 glass layer technology. Or your screen has turned into one big checkerboard due to unpredictable image retention development? CPU's blowing up due to a-symmetric fan shizzle-whizzle. Everything goes.

How do you feel about Apple's most recent technologic development?

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I have the 13" version and its running perfect, albeit a little toasty. But the 13" came out several months after the 15" so maybe they worked out the kinks. Suckers :)

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
As a MacBook Pro Retina user since september, my experience with this machine wasn't to good.

I've been trough 3 screen replacements, and after that 3 replacements units. All suffering from different screen inconsistencies.

On all this computers I have noticed differences. Not only between LG & Samsung, but also alot between same manufacturer screens.

Above that, also there are computer differences. One computer maked a crackling sound when I grabbed it at one corner, other ones didn't. Also volume of speakers, trackpad clickability, and sponginess of the keyboard varies.

Not to mention things like start-up / shuttingdown times.

All these things formed my opinion of the Retina MacBook seems to be some prototype computer thingy Apple rushed to the market.

You really have to be lucky to receive a machine that functions the way Apple meant it to be. Or better said, receiving one that functions just like your neighbors'. Because if you don't compare you won't no better.

This from my viewpoint lack of consistency in quality made me re-evaluate the MacBook Pro Retina as a computer design.

Where 3/4 year later on now, almost approaching a new cycle.

I'm wondering what your views on the durability of the MBPr are. Should it deserve the same status of the uniform MBP? A robust machine that handles everything, and is a solid trustworthy partner in your day to day digital needs. That stays working like the first day you bought it and got the feeling it will like forever?

Or do you thing Apple failed us at this one? Do you hope your Mac will be there for you in five years, scared that the screen probably already cracked by then due to the new fancy minus 1 glass layer technology. Or your screen has turned into one big checkerboard due to unpredictable image retention development? CPU's blowing up due to a-symmetric fan shizzle-whizzle. Everything goes.

How do you feel about Apple's most recent technologic development?

See? This is why I've been saying that I will never buy 1st generation anything. Most users may be happy, but at $2,600 I'm not willing to take the chance. The MacBook Pro retina is a awesome machine. I have played with it at the store many times. I am blown away by it. But it has some quirks that need to be ironed out. I've been waiting since last June and I will continue to wait. But the day that the 2nd generation comes out.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.