MacBook Pro Retina EFI reset

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rml911, Nov 27, 2013.

1. rml911 macrumors newbie

hello
    i bought 2 laptops off CL -one of which was a 15" 2012 macbook pro retina.

When i turned it on, it booted to the icloud page requesting the pin. then booting with the option key pressed required the efi pass
    i thought maybe by formatting the drive and cloning another i can bypass that.
    so i got an external flash drive enlcosure, connected to another laptop and repartitioned and cloned the drive.
    now when i boot i get the ? folder.

i also bought the teensy kit, but i dont know how to use.

any suggestions i would really appreciate.

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Sounds like the EFI password is set. You should return it to the seller to sort out. If they cannot, then the legitimacy of the sale needs to be questioned.

3. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

4. rml911, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

rml911 thread starter macrumors newbie

i called the apple store and gave the serial and you are right. it is wacked.

now im stuck with useless laptop

thanks for the replies

5. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

This guy not only stole the laptop, but he stole money from you. You probably have some information the police can use to catch this guy. Also, if the computer is booting to the iCloud page, then it's rightful owner already reported it missing to Apple, so there's a chance everyone can get what they deserve: you your money back, laptop back to the owner, and charges for the sh*thead you bought it from.

Good luck.

6. alexunlocks macrumors newbie

there existe multiple methods for removing efi protection including code counters, bios reader/writers, and special files for formating, all it takes is some time on google
    im not one to support theft but where theres a will theres a way